Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at my airbox and the instructions for the slp kit. I havent bought the kit yet. I printed the instructions of the slp site. I was thinking on saving the $ and cutting the top off my air box around the inlet. The inlet is tapered from wide to narrow. If i cut around the ledge wouldnt this eliminate the taperd part therefor reduce air restriction. Am i missing something about the slp kit.

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
yes the kit also has a funnel that is attached from the cowl down into the air box, along with a foam seal which fits right on top of the modified air box.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ace I was thinking the same thing, but I did end up buying the SLP Air Horn, as I was worried that if I didn't have the funnel I might (read; would) suck in snow dust. The SLP air box mod is a pretty simple procedure for a big gain in performance, and with the SLP air horn actually protruding into the air box it's self it does lessen the risk of snow ingestion and major problems. Plus it is still pretty cheap.
Good Luck

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
I think the funnel helps stop reversion in the air. Also keep your stock foam filter and as a extra measure against getting snow in the air box I run outer ware powder filters ( its like a very fine mesh screen).

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
The SLP kit provides a funnel or air horn...hence the name, which fits well and I would imagine accelarates air into the airbox. It also has a funnel and foam neck that seals the airbox opening to the hood intake area.
The kit is well made...not very expensive.

I know this as I used it last year on my PROX.
As a matter of fact I bought a new airbox and installed the SLP kit in it so I would have a stock box for resale.
Well I sold the PROX.

1 Polaris PROX/Edge/SKS/RMK airbox with SLP kit installed for sale now.
The new box was expensive and splitting the box and installing the kit is a bit of a *%%#@$.
Save yourself the grief and keep a stock box for later or if you don't like it.

PS...Whatever you do use the Prefilter material available from SLP or Polaris for the air intakes of the hood...the modded box is susceptible to snow and dust ingestion, so is the stocker if you ride in powder or a lot of snow dust.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Originally posted by terez@Oct 3 2005, 04:09 PM
The SLP kit provides a funnel or air horn...hence the name, which fits well and I would imagine accelarates air into the airbox.  It also has a funnel and foam neck that seals the airbox opening to the hood intake area.
The kit is well made...not very expensive.

I know this as I used it last year on my PROX.
As a matter of fact I bought a new airbox and installed the SLP kit in it so I would have a stock box for resale.
Well I sold the PROX.

1 Polaris PROX/Edge/SKS/RMK airbox with SLP kit installed for sale now.
The new box was expensive and splitting the box and installing the kit is a bit of a *%%#@$.
Save yourself the grief and keep a stock box for later or if you don't like it.

PS...Whatever you do use the Prefilter material available from SLP or Polaris for the air intakes of the hood...the modded box is susceptible to snow and dust ingestion, so is the stocker if you ride in powder or a lot of snow dust.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=906006

How much for the box with the SLP kit?  Is it for a 600 or the big block?
[/quote]

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
SLP kit is a great add on. Helps tons with the throttle response. get it and jet down 2 sizes from your current set-up if stock

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Split your box, take the funnel out of the top and cut the "Bottom" half off. This still leaves the top half for your foam and the part that slides int the halves. Throw away everything inside. Now you have the same thing for 15 min work. As long as you have the foam from the top of the box to the hood you are fine. In deep powder some pre-filter material could be used as well. Start jetting down, the decreased velocity in the box doen't pull on the vents as hard and tends to en-richen things.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Originally posted by Never Satisfied@Jan 8 2006, 02:13 PM
Split your box, take the funnel out of the top and cut the "Bottom" half off.  This still leaves the top half for your foam and the part that slides int the halves.  Throw away everything inside.  Now you have the same thing for 15 min work.  As long as you have the foam from the top of the box to the hood you are fine.  In deep powder some pre-filter material could be used as well.  Start jetting down, the decreased velocity in the box doen't pull on the vents as hard and tends to en-richen things.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=1198742
[/quote]

-what kind of results can you expect from a modified box as compared to SLP kit installed? ie: "take the funnel out of the top and cut the "Bottom" half off" - are you really changing the air flow (velosity) or are you actually disturbing the airflow and causing poor atomization issues?? :stirthepot:

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
go the SLP route with flowrights, much better and not a half assed way of doing things

·
Registered
494 Posts
probably not. The 700 used a 40 mm carb and the 600 used 38 mm carbs.

So the boots would be different. It would probably work if you replaced the carb boots.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Yeah, i just noticed that his previous sled was a 700 ProX after I posted that. Thanks for pointing that out though bigdog

·
Registered
494 Posts
Originally posted by ME_600XCSP@Jan 9 2006, 09:29 AM
will that box work for the 600 terez?  How much do you want?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=1202380
[/quote]

I think theres a 600 airbox on Ebay now with SLP kit in the box. Of course you'd still need the horn.

·
Registered
421 Posts
damn, i can't access ebay at work, they block it. I'll try to check though.
maybe someone has a horn they want to get rid of?

thanks again big37dog

·
Registered
494 Posts
Originally posted by ME_600XCSP@Jan 9 2006, 10:17 AM
damn, i can't access ebay at work, they block it.  I'll try to check though.
maybe someone has a horn they want to get rid of?

thanks again big37dog
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=1202580
[/quote]

Ebay item number is 4603415054

no panic still 6 days good Luck

·
Registered
906 Posts
Same stock number on 600, 700 and 800 for airbox? I want to try the mod, but also don't want to destroy my airbox in the process.

I realise that the boots may be different sized, but that is no big deal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts