Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking over my F7 and was thinking about all the people who said that they were worried about the intake getting plugged and restricting flow ect... As far as I can see, the air does not actually go in through the front. It goes in from up by the headlight and from the sides of the raised part on the hood. Is it getting plugged up here? Or was the front just getting plugged up? If the front gets plugged, it should matter, right?

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
After riding in fresh deep snow,more than a foot of semi-dry lake effect snow my sled began to bog,sure enough, the beak of the sled had packed with snow.Your right it does only enter through the highest part of the nose,under the removeable intake screen.I'm looking for some of that intake pre filter material that most oem sleds use for a pre filter.I bet if two pieces were slid in along side of that slot where the air is pulled into,the snow couldn't pack up due to the sucking force .The snow seems like it wants to blow off while your driving,but after its under the top cover the wind cant blow it off,and the motor is suciking it tight up against the silicone impregnated silk screen that was supposed to prevent snow and water from entering the motor.I had to stop several time while playing in so pits and meadows to bang and pry the snowy, icy mix that was restricting the flow.On a good note ,after my sled thawed in the shop,there was NO water in the box,or any evidece that there might have been!It's early does this make sense?

·
Registered
237 Posts
If you add the extra filter mat on the hood, what
would stop the motor from sucking in the snow
and cloging it up also?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes...so it is actually getting plugged underneath the intakes ontop of the hood? Why does it matter if the front gets plugged up if the air actually doesn't enter there? Just mainly to give the engine ventilation.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
By putting the filter material flush with the outside edge of the intake rise,the snow wouldn't be able to pack under the cover.It packs in ther very tight and is a pain in the a## to remove.I'm talking about that really course black open cell foamy material,if these were to plug up they would at least be removable and cleanable.Has this also happened to you?Also dou you think that by adding the foam you would restrict the motor ?

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
If snow packs in the very front by the airbox,you will have hard time opening the hood.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope hasn't happened to me yet....don't have enough snow for it to happen. :( So you saying it does pack under the rise? How much snow were you riding in and what was it? Powder? Also, I think the porous black material you are talking about would work. It might restrict the flow a little though. Anyone try it out?

·
Registered
485 Posts
:( Mine plugged solid during powder riding. the entire underside of the "airforce induction"cowl plugged solid. Tapping the top of the cowl shook a lot of it free but I end up stopping and taking the cowl right of the sled and cleaning it removed from the hood. It looked like the heat from the engine might have been melting some snow turning it to ice under the cowl and eventually building up leading to the clog, but I'm only speculating on this point .

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
LOL! Yeah, I think Cat at one time or another said deep snow and plugged air intakes wouldn't be an issue either! -- Roy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts