Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the air box gutted and the SLP air intake kit installed on 04 pro-x2 800. i have the 2 carb vent hoses hooked up to the air box the way they were stock. i realize with the larger intake opening and air velocity horns and shelf removed there must be less vacuum in the air box. does this affect anything with the carbs? i hear the top end runs real rich if you leave the hoses just hanging.. just wondering what guys are doing with vent lines on a sled with air box mod/or gutted air box?

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
put the carb vents back on the hose barbs on the front of the air box. 440 main jet is the largest main you would need for a 800 stock motor with a single pipe. gutting the box acts like the main jets are one size larger so it richer then before.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
put the carb vents back on the hose barbs on the front of the air box. 440 main jet is the largest main you would need for a 800 stock motor with a single pipe. gutting the box acts like the main jets are one size larger so it richer then before.[/b]

Just making a slight edit to your post xcmark, but to the best of my knowledge there is no 440 main jet for an 800. Just throwing it out there.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im not quite following the "no 440 main jet statement either"....im pretty sure from size# 300 they go up by 10 increments all the way to 500... if i run sled in summer on a grass drag at 80* outside ill run 310 mains .. in my 800...

·
Registered
370 Posts
im not quite following the "no 440 main jet statement either"....im pretty sure from size# 300 they go up by 10 increments all the way to 500... if i run sled in summer on a grass drag at 80* outside ill run 310 mains .. in my 800...[/b]
I confused also gutting the air box would make it run leaner if any thing because you're getting more air flow.

The vent hoses just vent the slides and yes it could affect low end. But all you have to do is make sure they are mounted higher than the carbs they don.t nesesarely have to run into the air box

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
I confused also gutting the air box would make it run leaner if any thing because you're getting more air flow.

The vent hoses just vent the slides and yes it could affect low end. But all you have to do is make sure they are mounted higher than the carbs they don.t nesesarely have to run into the air box[/b]

The vent lines are direct to the fuel bowls that go into the air box . The air box when it has the shelf in it creates a slight vaccuum at WOT , this in turn add a slight vaccuum to the fuel bowls that slightly limits the amount of fuel being drawn threw the jets . So if you remove the vaccuum from the bowl thats counter acting the motor vaccuum it flows more fuel due to the differance in presure . Did that make sence?

ESFR all I am saying it the largest main jet he needs is a 440 , the tm carbs will accept all standard hex jets from 300~560n and a 440 is a standard size.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Alright. I just said it because when I went to look in my shop manual for part #'s to give to my dealer so that I could order different jets to put in my sled I was surprised to find that there was a blank spot for a part # for a "440" for the 800. That's all. I just assumed they didn't make one[attachment=418421:dunno.gif]. My bad.

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
You don't need part numbers or anything when you're ordering jets from a dealer. As long as they're GENUINE Mikuni main jets and they're the size you need then you're good to go.

IMO don't even touch a jet that is not genuine Mikuni, my dealer gave me some off-brand jet one time and it looked about 1-2 jet sizes smaller than the other side based on plug readings. Maybe it was a freak deal but that did it for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts