Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealership burped my sled on the day of the pickup 12/17/02 and on the 18th I went out on my first & only ride on the F5 Snopro (I was breaking in my M/C 900) every thing was fine except for adding a little coolant to the reservoir (which I did) the engine was never hot and the running boards were not hot either - there was a lot of snow that day.
A few days later I was checking the track & suspension with the track off the floor, I was running the engine and I noticed that the inside hose was seeping.
So, I backed off the clamp & hose to check to see if they removed the rised seam (they did not) I removed the rised seam and repositioned the hose & clamp - problem there solved.
I have been burping the coolant system several times since then - following the Arctic Cat procedure.
A week or so in between starting the engine, I was checking the snowmobile over (the coolant reservoir is imposs. to see through most of the time) so I removed the cap and I heard air coming out ! This when the engine was cold and I burped the sled again, second run through I heard air rush out when I removed the cap (this time the engine was warm)
The right side running board never gets warm before the left side yet the instructions state that the right side running board should feel warm to touch when the cap is in the first position.
Is there a error in the instructions or am I doing some wrong ?
Any help would be great I don't want to toast the engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
sounds like you aren't following the procedure exactly. Also, when you removed the hose you let in air. That air no doubt found a home in the rear cooler. Go back and copy the bulletin (it's still pinned at the top of the general discussion forum), and follow it exactly, including when to have the cap tight and not tight and when to shut off the engine.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rob
Thanks for the reply.
I never removed the hose from the reservoir, I only backed to the end of the stem (nipple)
So, I doubt if any air got into the system (but you never know)
Today I started the engine and let run until I felt left side running board get warm, shortly the right running board got warm, the cylinder heads were luke warm just were the running boards.
Now back to the question - why does the left side running board warm up before the right ? I have followed that damn instructions to the tee !
Sorry.

·
Registered
19 Posts
coolant flows from engine through front exchanger down left running board through rear exchanger down right running board and back through engine-flow is reverse of previous cats-possibly coolant is cold by the time it runs down right running board-is this part of the problem with siezures looking like cold siezures cold water entering hot engine?????????

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ZRT 1050
Thanks for the reply&explaining, except for one thing! Why does the burping instructions always say check the right running board instead of the left?
It takes alot more than 3-4 minutes to get the running boards to feel any temp change - are they looking from the front of the sled or seating, dumb question but I had to ask.

·
Registered
227 Posts
instructions are wrong then...i have had the ugly job of hitting a stump and blowing the coolant hose under the metal belly pan on the underside of the engine and had to do surgery in a parking lot and have had no problems with over heating. the left side while sitting on it DOES get hot first. be sure and follow the instructions otherwise

1 - 6 of 6 Posts