Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any experience with aftermarket skis on the ZR chasis? Rob's Ski analysis on the Firecat side is some interesting reading....seems like there is more to be had with different skis on the F-cat. Anyone running different skis on the ZR/ZL? Marc

Rob's ski analysis on Firecat

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I've run Simmons for several thousand miles on a couple MXZ's and last season on a Pantera. Love them.
What I find very interesting is Rob has mentioned in the past that the Cat Skis on the F-Cat are very vague in chewed up snow. I find the Cat skis very presice in those same conditions on my '02 ZR. I think the problem is the long track on the F-Cat and there has to be a different front end geometry or wheelbase between the spindles and front of the track to make the Firecat react so differently.
mike

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by mikerider@Jan 6 2003, 07:50 AM
I've run Simmons for several thousand miles on a couple MXZ's and last season on a Pantera. Love them.
What I find very interesting is Rob has mentioned in the past that the Cat Skis on the F-Cat are very vague in chewed up snow. I find the Cat skis very presice in those same conditions on my '02 ZR. I think the problem is the long track on the F-Cat and there has to be a different front end geometry or wheelbase between the spindles and front of the track to make the Firecat react so differently.
mike
Mike, I am generally happy with my ZR skis, but still have some darting that I can't tune out (without giving up something else at least). Did the Simmons skis totally eliminate darting on your sleds? I assume you have never had them on the ZR? Thanks...Marc

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Hi Marc,
My MXZ's darted like crazy. The Simmons totally cured it. There is no pushing in corners, even in a chewed up trail or with three inches of fresh powder on top of the trail. the sled goes perfectly straight and turns on a dime. Steering effort is easy. My Pantera came with the blow molded skis, they pushed and wandered like crazy. The Simmons made it handle like a slot car. I have mentioned this to Rob a few times, I am that sure the Simmons would cure his problems. A couple things about the Simmons, or any dual runner ski. They do not like ice or snow that it hard as a rock, such as a plowed logging road travelled by logging trucks. Then they shake and dart like crazy. But 99 % of the time, they are the best aftermarket product I've ever purchased. They are far better than the SkiDoo dual runner ski.
mike

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm running skidoo precision skis on my zl 800 and like them very much. I found the AC skis very imprecise on the zl chassis and got a buy on the doo skis so I tried them. I have screwed the preload down to about 3 threads on my A-arms and let out my limiters about 3/4" on the bolts and still have very precise steering with very little darting. I looked at Simmons and would have purchased them if I had not gotten these skis for about 1/2 price. I assumed they were equivalent but perhaps they are not. The doos do not come with a kit for AC so you have to do a little fitting to make them work.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Yes, they deffinetely reduce inside lift. Simmons are designed quite a bit different on bottom than the Doo's. The Simmons are an inch wider, are flat on bottom w/grooves vs. Doo's concave on bottom. The Simmons have a mold that extends down where it meets the carbide runners. I have both, (new mxz with prescision skis). The Simmons are much better.
mike

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Rode a Ski-Doo 800 last year with the dual runners. What a difference from my 98 ZR. Have since gotten the dual runner sno-stuff skies. Will be running them on the 17th in the UP. Will let you know then. The nice thing with the snow- stuff skies, takes regular carbides in them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I got some simmons on my 02 zl and love them. Corners like on rails and floats well in powder. Would highly recommend them.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Originally posted by Team Arctic@Jan 6 2003, 08:37 AM
Mike, I am generally happy with my ZR skis, but still have some darting that I can't tune out (without giving up something else at least). Did the Simmons skis totally eliminate darting on your sleds? I assume you have never had them on the ZR? Thanks...Marc
Marc
Put a set of skidoo forks(part # 860-703700) on your AC skis and give it a try unless you have 400. you really want to part with. I have run them on 2 AC ZR's and they really eliminate the darting. What have you got to lose for $20. If you are otherwise happy with your AC skis I think you will be pleased.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Got the chance to try some C&A Pros yesterday @ 70miles. They track precisely on my 00ZL 500 @120 studs. Impressive. Different feel than my stock skis w/ Dooley's. Almost feel like I wasted my money on Dooley's and should have gone with aftermarket skis instead if it were not for the price range variance. Will be trying them on a three day trip. Will get back to ya.

Mark

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Got to try my new snowstuff skis. What a difference to the stock ZR skis. No darting and great control. Will have these from now on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got a set of Snow Stuff X-Calibur skis on my 02-zr800 and they work great. I also ran them on my 600 zrt no problems with darting or tracking. I live in the U.P. so you know we have powder and they perform well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts