Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I've run Simmons for several thousand miles on a couple MXZ's and last season on a Pantera. Love them.
What I find very interesting is Rob has mentioned in the past that the Cat Skis on the F-Cat are very vague in chewed up snow. I find the Cat skis very presice in those same conditions on my '02 ZR. I think the problem is the long track on the F-Cat and there has to be a different front end geometry or wheelbase between the spindles and front of the track to make the Firecat react so differently.
mike

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by mikerider@Jan 6 2003, 07:50 AM
I've run Simmons for several thousand miles on a couple MXZ's and last season on a Pantera. Love them.
What I find very interesting is Rob has mentioned in the past that the Cat Skis on the F-Cat are very vague in chewed up snow. I find the Cat skis very presice in those same conditions on my '02 ZR. I think the problem is the long track on the F-Cat and there has to be a different front end geometry or wheelbase between the spindles and front of the track to make the Firecat react so differently.
mike
Mike, I am generally happy with my ZR skis, but still have some darting that I can't tune out (without giving up something else at least). Did the Simmons skis totally eliminate darting on your sleds? I assume you have never had them on the ZR? Thanks...Marc

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Hi Marc,
My MXZ's darted like crazy. The Simmons totally cured it. There is no pushing in corners, even in a chewed up trail or with three inches of fresh powder on top of the trail. the sled goes perfectly straight and turns on a dime. Steering effort is easy. My Pantera came with the blow molded skis, they pushed and wandered like crazy. The Simmons made it handle like a slot car. I have mentioned this to Rob a few times, I am that sure the Simmons would cure his problems. A couple things about the Simmons, or any dual runner ski. They do not like ice or snow that it hard as a rock, such as a plowed logging road travelled by logging trucks. Then they shake and dart like crazy. But 99 % of the time, they are the best aftermarket product I've ever purchased. They are far better than the SkiDoo dual runner ski.
mike

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm running skidoo precision skis on my zl 800 and like them very much. I found the AC skis very imprecise on the zl chassis and got a buy on the doo skis so I tried them. I have screwed the preload down to about 3 threads on my A-arms and let out my limiters about 3/4" on the bolts and still have very precise steering with very little darting. I looked at Simmons and would have purchased them if I had not gotten these skis for about 1/2 price. I assumed they were equivalent but perhaps they are not. The doos do not come with a kit for AC so you have to do a little fitting to make them work.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Yes, they deffinetely reduce inside lift. Simmons are designed quite a bit different on bottom than the Doo's. The Simmons are an inch wider, are flat on bottom w/grooves vs. Doo's concave on bottom. The Simmons have a mold that extends down where it meets the carbide runners. I have both, (new mxz with prescision skis). The Simmons are much better.
mike

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Rode a Ski-Doo 800 last year with the dual runners. What a difference from my 98 ZR. Have since gotten the dual runner sno-stuff skies. Will be running them on the 17th in the UP. Will let you know then. The nice thing with the snow- stuff skies, takes regular carbides in them.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Originally posted by Team Arctic@Jan 6 2003, 08:37 AM
Mike, I am generally happy with my ZR skis, but still have some darting that I can't tune out (without giving up something else at least). Did the Simmons skis totally eliminate darting on your sleds? I assume you have never had them on the ZR? Thanks...Marc
Marc
Put a set of skidoo forks(part # 860-703700) on your AC skis and give it a try unless you have 400. you really want to part with. I have run them on 2 AC ZR's and they really eliminate the darting. What have you got to lose for $20. If you are otherwise happy with your AC skis I think you will be pleased.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Got the chance to try some C&A Pros yesterday @ 70miles. They track precisely on my 00ZL 500 @120 studs. Impressive. Different feel than my stock skis w/ Dooley's. Almost feel like I wasted my money on Dooley's and should have gone with aftermarket skis instead if it were not for the price range variance. Will be trying them on a three day trip. Will get back to ya.

Mark

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.