Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering what if there is a way to adjust the the oil pump. I have an 07 F8. Other than getting a boondocker want to know if i can lean it a bit. I have Y-Pipe and timing key. Anyone know how to do this. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
435 Posts
You just need to turn the plastic cap, as it is threaded onto the arm. I did it with the airbox off of the throttle bodies, and used a long screwdriver to pop the arm off. The plastic rod ends are joints that receive the metal ball ends connected to the pump. When done, I re-installed the arm by taking the panel off on the muffler side. I stuck a screwdriver in to take tension off the spring and hold the joint attached to it in a place I could easily reach. I then put the rod end in front of the ball end, and used a flat screwdriver to push the end back over the ball. I leaned mine out a bit, as it seemed the 07's came with the pumps set too rich. Hope this helps. Not too hard to do.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You just need to turn the plastic cap, as it is threaded onto the arm. I did it with the airbox off of the throttle bodies, and used a long screwdriver to pop the arm off. The plastic rod ends are joints that receive the metal ball ends connected to the pump. When done, I re-installed the arm by taking the panel off on the muffler side. I stuck a screwdriver in to take tension off the spring and hold the joint attached to it in a place I could easily reach. I then put the rod end in front of the ball end, and used a flat screwdriver to push the end back over the ball. I leaned mine out a bit, as it seemed the 07's came with the pumps set too rich. Hope this helps. Not too hard to do.[/b]
Thanks ill try it.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
how many turns out did you move the plastic threaded ball joint?? one or two or a lot more?[/b]
I backed mine off (lengthened the rod) 3 turns. This took me from about 28-1 to about 48-1. We are leaving on a trip tomorrow AM and will put on lots of miles. I will probably go one more turn if the ratios stay around 48-1. Seems each turn is about 7-1. My 04 F7 was about the same, each turn was about 8-1 on that sled. FWIW I have turned down my XP800 Doo 3 turns as well, it was also running 25-1.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I backed mine off (lengthened the rod) 3 turns. This took me from about 28-1 to about 48-1. We are leaving on a trip tomorrow AM and will put on lots of miles. I will probably go one more turn if the ratios stay around 48-1. Seems each turn is about 7-1. My 04 F7 was about the same, each turn was about 8-1 on that sled. FWIW I have turned down my XP800 Doo 3 turns as well, it was also running 25-1.[/b]
So these are variable oil pump injectors? I thought I was reading on here where someone thought, but was not sure that they were only 2 stage oil pumps. Meaning they only had two flow rates and if you adjusted the arms you were just adjusting the time when it switched to the higher flow rate. Now this doesn't really make much sense to me, but I was wondering if someone could clarify.
Because even if you are measureing your ratio after gas/oil fill ups it would still depend on your throttle position.
I definetly want to adjust. Using about 1 qt of oil per 100 miles. If I remember right I'm at about 35:1.
My old ZR was great. She ran about 65:1.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Two stage pump - the adjustment is only changing the cross over point. Check the linkage - '07's were a two piece unit that gets gummed up with oil and sticks open at idle - loading up your plugs.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Two stage pump - the adjustment is only changing the cross over point. Check the linkage - '07's were a two piece unit that gets gummed up with oil and sticks open at idle - loading up your plugs.[/b]

Well, then that doesn't seem safe to adjust it then?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Check your ratio with actual usage - shoot for 50 to 60:1. The '07's pump from the factory was crossing over way too soon and feeding too much oil to the motor. My first set of plugs were a nasty black oily mess! I've owned a lot of two strokes over the years and these plugs were the worst. After adjustments - the plugs are coming out a deep chocolate brown - so I will probably lean it out a little more.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Check your ratio with actual usage - shoot for 50 to 60:1. The '07's pump from the factory was crossing over way too soon and feeding too much oil to the motor. My first set of plugs were a nasty black oily mess! I've owned a lot of two strokes over the years and these plugs were the worst. After adjustments - the plugs are coming out a deep chocolate brown - so I will probably lean it out a little more.[/b]
Mine's an 08 but anyway.
What I'm saying is this. If you're only changing the point at which it changes to the second level, what if you only ride most times at 1/4 throttle. Or vice versa. Then when you check it you were doing the opposite. It's not really all that safe to change this on a two stage pump. Your ratio really means nothing.
I'm not bashing you or anything. I'm just saying this is stupid. It should be a variable pump.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I agree with you that it should be a variable pump - I wish it was. All I know is that my plugs were oilly black and my oil light came on after a tank of gas. After backing off the pump rod 3.5 turns - the plugs are much better and I get a least two tanks of gas per oil fill.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Said the heck with it. Backed it off 2 turns. If this is roughly 8:1 per turn, then this should get me right about 50:1. I'll start there. See where it takes me.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Haven't been able to ride her yet! damn mother nature took our snow. It's turning around now though. I'll let you know. Hopefully I did it right.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts