Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My F5 is using way too much oil I am running a 34-1 ratio. I want to turn the pump down but am not sure how. Do you just put some slack in the cable that pulls the lever in the pump? Will this make it too lean on the lowend?

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Put the throttle at WOT. There is a mark on the oil pump arm that is supposed to line up with the mark on the pump. I adjusted the oil pump cable so the mark just falls short of lining up by about 1/16". I use about 1 quart to 130 miles. I haven't got around to checking the ratio but after 250 miles, the plugs show plenty of oil and the piston skirts look great and the power valves showed a slight buildup but nothing that was affecting performance. I also changed the jets to 370's and ran it in temps down to -15 at very little elevation with no problems.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
BTW --- Just remember, the adjustment was what worked on my sled. Since no two sleds or oil pumps are identical, adjust it down a little at a time to get the correct ratio for your sled. Be careful. Peace.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Originally posted by redteamf5@Feb 19 2003, 01:49 PM
NEW SLED! Take it to the dealer.
New sled or not, if you have the ability and aptitude,it doesn't hurt to do things YOURSELF. Working on sleds is not that hard and it won't affect the warranty either. That is, unless you don't know what you're doing and YOU screw it up and the dealer or AC can prove it. What we are talking about here is a simple procedure.

By all means, if you DON'T feel comfortable doing the work, take it to the dealer.

I think way too many people practice the "it's a brand new sled, take it to the dealer and have them fix it" theory.

Also, if you work on your own sled, you most likely will learn more about how everything works and then when something happens when you're on a trip somewhere, you'll be better prepared to do the repairs and get back riding.

JMO. Peace, Gunner.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts