Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was woundering how you can tell how much pound pressure is on the spring on the secondary clutch? How do you put that pressure on it?

Thanks Bimmer1

:doh: :beerchug:

·
Banned
10,423 Posts
do you want torsional(rotational resistance),,,or side pressure(amount required to compress sheave towards open position?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
looking for 12 to 14 lbs of resistance, I think it's rotational

·
Banned
10,423 Posts
use a BERKLEY hand held fish scale, hook it into the balance holes in outer edge of sheave, lock brake on then gently start pulling while observing resistace until the sheave begins to move, this is the rotational resistance(torsional) you seek, this is adjusted by varying the outer tip of secondary spring among the holes, 1 being softest, 4 being stiffest, i assume you know how to reassemble secondary after disassembling to change location of spring???????

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. I have reassemble them before but didn't know how to get the pound resistance.

·
Banned
10,423 Posts
could be depending upon his application he's setting up for

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
6,144 Posts
Not at all trying to be a wiseguy, but I have seen some real colossal misunderstandings in my time...

1. The belt must be off the secondary.

2. Give it a couple rotations by hand to make sure it is free turning, not restrained by corrosion, belt dust buildup, etc.

3. Use a padded vice grip or a small woodworking clamp to squeeze a piece of heavy cord or fishing line next to the movable sheave (you do not want to scratch up the secondary) if you cannot get a hook to hold in one of the balance holes.

4. You want to be pulling at the outside circumference of the secondary clutch. If you put a C-clamp on it and then hook to the top of the C-clamp you are getting a longer lever on the spring and changing the pounds of pull at which the sheave will move.

5. On secondary clutches that COMPRESS the secondary spring when the clutch closes, the reading you get with the same spring will vary depending on the helix installed.

6. The condition of the rollers and buttons and bushings will also affect this measurement.

·
Banned
10,423 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: all he wanted was a way to measure the load, 3 and 4 are useless excersises in futility, you'll scratch it more trying those idea's than ever with a fishscale :werd:

edit:spelling

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
6,144 Posts
Originally posted by C-NOTEPLUSf503@Sep 2 2005, 01:46 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :smilielol:  :smilielol:  :smilielol:  :smilielol: all he wanted was a way to measure the load, 3 and 4 are useless excersises in futility, you'll scratch it more trying those idea's than ever with a fishscale :werd:

edit:spelling
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=858623
[/quote]
On a secondary clutch with a stamped steel sheave, I am not able to get a hook from a fishing scale into a balancing hole.

But, thanks for the advice and the cute icons.

·
Banned
10,423 Posts
Originally posted by ExcursionPSD@Sep 2 2005, 01:53 PM
On a secondary clutch with a stamped steel sheave, I am not able to get a hook from a fishing scale into a balancing hole.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=858630
[/quote]
:augen41: sorry!!

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Don't bother with the scale method on the polaris secondary. Always start with the secondary spring in #2 position, and adjust tighter if slightly higher rpm needed, or the rpm fall then recover when the secondary shifts.

·
Banned
10,423 Posts
Originally posted by pockets@Sep 2 2005, 10:57 PM
Don't bother with the scale method on the polaris secondary. Always start with the secondary spring in #2 position, and adjust tighter if slightly higher rpm needed, or the rpm fall then recover when the secondary shifts.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=859299
[/quote]
he was originally looking for 12-14 lbs, hence my reply

·
Registered
2,167 Posts

I use a punch that fits in the balance hole and hook a fish gage to it. Circumfrence is the same so the lever effect doesn't apply. 12-14 lbs is either #2 or likely#3 hole. Buttons and bushings must be good. I know too much info. :Wow1:

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
"Circumfrence is the same so the lever effect doesn't apply".

I use a punch or allen wrench in one of the balance holes also. Just be sure the fish scale hook is touching the outer surface of the moveable sheave and not on the end of the punch. You WOULD gain leverage if you hooked on the end of the punch.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts