Hardcore Sledder banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
To me, it sounds like the issue is engine braking, hence the reason she has to stay on the throttle. This is an inherent issue with all 4 strokes it seems, and can be dialed down, or up somewhat, with different springs in the clutches, but you will never get that free wheeling feeling like that of a 2 stroker.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
These gas tanks are notorious for trapping air. When you think they have been filled you need to stand on the back end to let the trapped air escape. You will then get any where from 1-1/2 to as much as 2 gals more gas in the tank.

·
Registered
585 Posts
These gas tanks are notorious for trapping air. When you think they have been filled you need to stand on the back end to let the trapped air escape. You will then get any where from 1-1/2 to as much as 2 gals more gas in the tank.
I am still on the first tank.

Is the tank some weird shape with a high spot? I am having trouble with this.

·
Registered
585 Posts
To me, it sounds like the issue is engine braking, hence the reason she has to stay on the throttle. This is an inherent issue with all 4 strokes it seems, and can be dialed down, or up somewhat, with different springs in the clutches, but you will never get that free wheeling feeling like that of a 2 stroker.
My side by side, kawaski does this, it has a belt. Though my 4 wheeler, polaris, with a belt doesn't, that I have noticed. Maybe it is the spring set up, different brands.

It is annoying. But it is a nice safety feature. Not sure if that is why they did it though. Had me wanting cruise control.

·
Registered
141 Posts
My brother leads our pack with a 16' 900 ACe shorty. Younger brother has the new 850 Doo, I have a 16' 800 Switchback. We are not leef peeper's or Johnny sno cossers riders. That being said, if the trails are not super highways, the 900 Ace is a great sled and can keep up with anything. Who rides it and how they ride it is what makes you keep it or sell it. Not the sleds fault.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Not sure a thread about how much they suck, is the right place to advertise.

Being that it is such an awful sled, there is no way I am paying that much. Though being how new it is, you are going to give someone a wonderful deal.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I was considering one of these but a renegade..reading this tread has me leaning toward a second Viper instead..I would still like to take one for a ride because most reviews are positive.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I'm not bashing the sled, It is what it is. A great entry level reliable sled. For most people it is perfect but for how we ride it just doesn't cut it.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I was considering one of these but a renegade..reading this tread has me leaning toward a second Viper instead..I would still like to take one for a ride because most reviews are positive.
the 1200 is the comparable (but slightly stronger) sled to the viper, not the ace

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
You said you had a viper? How do you like it? Obviously you must not be happy is looking elsewhere. Any info you could provide would be great becuase that was what i was looking to replace my ace with. Or an etech.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Just completed a 1016 mile saddle bag trip in the U.P. last week. Sleds where 1-Sidewinder, 2-900 ACE Renegades, 1-900 ACE Blizzard and there was no problem keeping up with the Sidewinder in the twisties, the long rail beds, we did not keep up with the Sidewinder and that is to be expected. Bottom line, the 900 ACE is no slouch and when set up and ridden well, it will run with the best of them.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just completed a 1016 mile saddle bag trip in the U.P. last week. Sleds where 1-Sidewinder, 2-900 ACE Renegades, 1-900 ACE Blizzard and there was no problem keeping up with the Sidewinder in the twisties, the long rail beds, we did not keep up with the Sidewinder and that is to be expected. Bottom line, the 900 ACE is no slouch and when set up and ridden well, it will run with the best of them.
x 2, 900 no slouch on the twisties.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have a '12 1100na (5000) and a '14 GSX 900 just like the OP's. Surprised at your conclusion. Wonder if something is wrong with your sled as my wife and I prefer our 900 over the Cat. The Doo is smoother, more plush, snappier (in sport mode) and much quieter. I have a clutch kit in the Cat to help but the Doo is still better. The mpg with the 900 is a bonus. The last fill up the 800 took 5.5 gal, the 1100 na took 3.6 and the Doo 900 needed 2.4. All started with with topped off tanks that were burped.
We normally ride with a '13 Cat 800 and a '16 Cat 6000 Limited. Swapping between the sleds everyone has a hard time believing the Doo is only 90 hp as you cannot lose it in the twisties. The lakes and railroad beds is the only time the 800 pulls away.
Great to have options and drive what makes you happy.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Well I sold it a couple of weeks ago and bought her a 2016 Viper SR-SE. Hopefully she will like this better/ The ace just doesn't have enough power for our riding.

·
Registered
218 Posts
ACE 900 mods

You might want to check dootalk.com for easy mods that will wake up your sled.Apparently, a clutch kit and letting the engine rev a little more will make a big difference.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I find the 900 feels just like a 90 hp sled, great sled quiet smooth great till 70-80mph, but a little boring. if/when a g4 600 comes out this 900 is gone. and not crazy about the itc either.

41 - 60 of 87 Posts