Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all...seeing as I walk by the new F8 every day wanted to make sure my elec. shield was ready to go...just in case...lol..anyway I picked
up the "quick connector" years ago for my ZR's and was planning on using my old connector...it seems to be in perfect shape
and always worked fine on my ZR's and 05' F7...heres the thing it appears that the "HOT" wire red/blue stripe is correct as tested by
my 12volt lead light...but when I plug the Cat accessory connector in no dice...I have power at the end of the female RCA connector
but the HOT side is coming from the "outside" of the connector has any one else noticed this...maybe I need a newer connector?

Thanks for the help....

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hey all...seeing as I walk by the new F8 every day wanted to make sure my elec. shield was ready to go...just in case...lol..anyway I picked
up the "quick connector" years ago for my ZR's and was planning on using my old connector...it seems to be in perfect shape
and always worked fine on my ZR's and 05' F7...heres the thing it appears that the "HOT" wire red/blue stripe is correct as tested by
my 12volt lead light...but when I plug the Cat accessory connector in no dice...I have power at the end of the female RCA connector
but the HOT side is coming from the "outside" of the connector has any one else noticed this...maybe I need a newer connector?

Thanks for the help....[/b]
I use the same one I used on my 03 F7, works fine on the F8.

·
Premium Member
20,893 Posts
So, if you cut the wires and crossed them you would be good to go? or am I missing something? I used the RCA end of my old conector but the sled end was not long enough so I soldered a lead and a regular two prong conector on from the auto store. I remember somebody saying that the wires were reversed --in orientation on the plug-- on the new sleds, that is what use to be yellow (hot, female side of the plug) is now the male end and red. I did mine a month ago and can't remember the colors right now but I thought they were red and white? swap the wires.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
absolutely I can swap the wires...just wondering why the change...or if mine was the only screwed up...I'll get out the soldering gun & the shrink tubing...thanks for your help..

·
Registered
144 Posts
So, if you cut the wires and crossed them you would be good to go? or am I missing something? I used the RCA end of my old conector but the sled end was not long enough so I soldered a lead and a regular two prong conector on from the auto store. I remember somebody saying that the wires were reversed --in orientation on the plug-- on the new sleds, that is what use to be yellow (hot, female side of the plug) is now the male end and red. I did mine a month ago and can't remember the colors right now but I thought they were red and white? swap the wires.[/b]
I tested mine and the difference is that the 07's have a DC power supply but my 03 ZR has a AC power coming from the Mag. Someone besides me, should put a good fluke meter on the two different plugs and confirm. I do not think that the heated shield is going to give rats A-- about the difference. I have been trying to find proof but many of the shields are rated ac/dc and with this in mind I plugged mine in and will hope that everything will be fine.

·
Premium Member
1,819 Posts
The heated shield doesn't care if it's AC or DC or which side is positive or which side is negative. It's just a heating element, doesn't matter. The only problem with the HOT side coming from the "outside" of the connector is if it touches the metal on the sled it may short out and melt the wiring. You should either put a fuse in to protect it or rewire it so the hot is on the inside where it should be.

PS. I just checked and the '07's are DC.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It appears to actually matter on the set up I'm using...I picked up a new shield/helmet w/ a led that indicates if the shield is working properly.
On the "stock" set up as I described no dice...reverse the wires and the led lights...just wanted to know if there was a change from prior years or was mine wired backwords...thanks for all of the replies...

·
Premium Member
1,819 Posts
Yeah, if you have an LED (light emitting diode) the current can only flow one way. The diode restricts it. I haven't seen a shield with an LED before.

·
Registered
144 Posts
It appears to actually matter on the set up I'm using...I picked up a new shield/helmet w/ a led that indicates if the shield is working properly.
On the "stock" set up as I described no dice...reverse the wires and the led lights...just wanted to know if there was a change from prior years or was mine wired backwords...thanks for all of the replies...[/b]
What sled are you working on?
Scott

·
Premium Member
20,893 Posts
That's neat. Now I want a LED on mine. No more Is this thing on.....? I was considering wiring mine true hot to the battery so it would always work on full power but these sleds are suppose to have enough juice to run everything at an idle anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts