·
Registered
14,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RIP.

SATURDAY, Dec. 30, 2006, 12:17 p.m.
By Associated Press
Girl dies after falling through ice

Hazelhurst - A snowmobile went through lake ice in northern Wisconsin, killing a 9-year-old passenger, a sheriff's deputy said today.

Someone called the Oneida County sheriff's department at about 5:15 p.m. Friday reporting the accident on Lake Tomahawk, according to a department news release.

The 9-year-old girl was riding with an adult in a twin-track type snowmobile - where the driver and passenger sit side by side - when the snowmobile went down in about 50 feet of water, sheriff's deputy Jim Adams said. The girl was wearing a seat belt. The driver, whom Adams would not identify, was not injured.

A dive team found her about 90 minutes later and took her to a local hospital, where she was pronounced dead at 10:05 p.m., the sheriff's department said.

The medical examiner's office determined the girl, from Rochester, Minn., died from accidental cold water drowning.

Adams said the victim's identity would not be released until her family was notified of her death.

The sheriff's department was still investigating whether the snowmobile fell through the ice or hit open water, Adams said.

The department has since asked that people stay off the ice in the county because of treacherous conditions.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Lake TOmahawk is where my father in law has a cabin. i ride that area all the time. I can tell you the ice is FAR from ready for sled traffic in most spots up there from a couple weeks ago. You might be able to walk out on it, but do NOT ride on it up there unless the sled clubs tell you it's ok.

PLUS, this sled involved is a side by side two seater, which is a VERY heavy machine. This sort of stuff is VERY preventable if people would use some patience and had checked the ice before venturing out onto it.

What a shame. I pray for that family.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
there has been ice shanty's and truck out on that lake for over a week now. I bet they were near the creek that heads into lake Katherine. it is alway thin over by there.

They do not know if the "Thing" they were driving went through the ice, or the driver ran it into open water. it is Still being investigated.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
You gotta feel bad for the little girl who died, but riding something heavy like an Elite out on the ice now is sheer stupidity.
Plain and simple, if the lake isnt maked, STAY OFF!!!

·
Premium Member
4,003 Posts
wow that does suck, yeah, you would have to pay me to go out on a lake at this time

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Thats freaking horrible. Its hard to believe a seasoned sledder was involved. If so they should be hit with neglect. Sucks someone had to loose their little girl. Its bad enough when its an adult drunk and stupid but you know the girl had no idea it was unsafe.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Thats terrible news, with kids of my own it always sends shivers up my spine hearing this kind of stuff.
Heart n prayers go out to her family, and of the driver, how terrible they must feel.
If it's a lake I don't know im always in the throttle.

·
Premium Member
4,003 Posts
Is this number one on the season?[/b]
yes #1 death so far, i belive there were 2 accidents already

·
Registered
294 Posts
my cousins live up there and their friend is the hazelhurst fire chief who witnessed it all. SHe was on a skidoo Elite(name of twin track model i believe) and went over an ice heave where the ice comes together and is very week and the sled broke through. the adult got out but she was seat belted in and went 70ft down until a navy seal from wooddruff that is on the fire dept. could come and save her 2 hrs later from when it all happened. There is an ice heave like this on Little saint germain going into west bay only it is shallow there. be careful out there RIP

·
Premium Member
4,003 Posts
did they know the area, i knwo there from minn but i didnt knwo if they travled there often, and did Tomahawk have up sighns of waring and other things ?? (they could sew)

·
Registered
294 Posts
being that lake Tom is 7 mi long it obviously wasn't totally frozen. by taking a heavy sled out there probably wasn't the best idea along with going out in the middle of the lake. It is always the last lake to freeze and with the warm temps it was a risky decision. i belive the sled is gray/silver i think that was the only color made for that model.

did they know the area, i knwo there from minn but i didnt knwo if they travled there often, and did Tomahawk have up sighns of waring and other things ?? (they could sew)

How could they sew anyone? if it was a trail it would make sense but a lake is a dangerous place to go on during the winter at any time and they can't mark the whole lake as being safe. it is a chance you take by going on the lake to get the next location so truly it was the wrong place and the wrong time. If they did see the ice heave in the middle of the lake and went on top of it that was a bad choice but no one really knows what happened except an inncocent girl lost her life.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
They always say to stay off the lakes untill they are marked, so no, I dont think they could sue anyone.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Besides that you access a frozen waterway at your own risk. It's a tragedy.

·
Registered
123 Posts
there has been ice shanty's and truck out on that lake for over a week now. I bet they were near the creek that heads into lake Katherine. it is alway thin over by there.

They do not know if the "Thing" they were driving went through the ice, or the driver ran it into open water. it is Still being investigated.[/b]

I would bet you are right, I was on Lake Tom the day before. I wasnt going to cross it, but, I wanted to get home quickly so I could take my Daughter for a short ride. I came down the grade by 47 and saw pick ups and shanty's in the bay by the boat launch so I decided to go. I did see a barrel on the shore at the launch but no other markings ( fortunately I know the lake well ) I headed west at the big rock and shot across the little bay, I was going to stop at otter slide but there was very little snow on the lake and I dont have picks ,so ,I was afraid that if I did stop that I wouldnt be able to get up to speed quick enough. In hindsight I guess I could have tried to turn towards shore and ride the shoreline past inkwell and to katherine channel but at this point I had pretty good momentum going and I spotted the channel so I made a B-line for the channel. When I crossed that bay I went across two very large areas of slush, I would think that would be the site of the incident. I know it is easy to sit here in my warm living room and think what your options would be in that type of situation, but, I got to believe that if my little girl (mine is 5 ) was belted in to a sled and it was going down, I would go down with the sled and try to get her out. Yikes, I dont mean to be a newbie downer here, I just really feel sad when bad things happen to children.

DS

1 - 20 of 29 Posts