Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought you might find it interesting to see what a diehard Polaris rider thinks about the Z1 after trying one for a couple miles...

Was out riding the dealers Dragon Switchback yesterday, rode with a buddy that was riding his g/f's Cat Z1.

We swapped sleds for a couple miles, the Z1 appeared to be a lot more bulky than the SB at first. But once underway it was not as noticeable. Very good ergo's on the Z1 (unlike the F7 I rode last year, low seat and nowhere to put my feet) , effortless steering and no darting it'll be a great sled for those 300 mile days. Weather protection was a lot better than the so-called windshield on the SB provided.

The engine was quiet and engaged at a low 1600 rpm, and had some serious low end grunt. Poor traction (snow covered ice) where we rode, so I had to feather the throttle to keep the track from breaking loose. It was still under break-in so I did not get much feel for the top end power. It sounded a lot less "lawnmoverish" than the Polaris FS/FST IMO.

The sleds is very adjustable with handlebars,windshield and seat that can be adjusted in several positions. But more 'plasticy' (is that a word?) than I prefer, reminds me of the plastics on the Fusion.

My buddy opened the hood, man that engine is tucked away in there :D And plenty of room for a serious turbo in front of the engine :beer_cheers:

So, would I consider buying one? , well, seems like a great sled in most every aspect , good chassis etc. I just don't care for the looks....
I was to buy a F-chassis sled, at the least I'd modify the rear end to look like a Crossfire...

·
Registered
439 Posts
Thought you might find it interesting to see what a diehard Polaris rider thinks about the Z1 after trying one for a couple miles...

Was out riding the dealers Dragon Switchback yesterday, rode with a buddy that was riding his g/f's Cat Z1.

We swapped sleds for a couple miles, the Z1 appeared to be a lot more bulky than the SB at first. But once underway it was not as noticeable. Very good ergo's on the Z1 (unlike the F7 I rode last year, low seat and nowhere to put my feet) , effortless steering and no darting it'll be a great sled for those 300 mile days. Weather protection was a lot better than the so-called windshield on the SB provided.

The engine was quiet and engaged at a low 1600 rpm, and had some serious low end grunt. Poor traction (snow covered ice) where we rode, so I had to feather the throttle to keep the track from breaking loose. It was still under break-in so I did not get much feel for the top end power. It sounded a lot less "lawnmoverish" than the Polaris FS/FST IMO.

The sleds is very adjustable with handlebars,windshield and seat that can be adjusted in several positions. But more 'plasticy' (is that a word?) than I prefer, reminds me of the plastics on the Fusion.

My buddy opened the hood, man that engine is tucked away in there :D And plenty of room for a serious turbo in front of the engine :beer_cheers:

So, would I consider buying one? , well, seems like a great sled in most every aspect , good chassis etc. I just don't care for the looks....
I was to buy a F-chassis sled, at the least I'd modify the rear end to look like a Crossfire...[/b]
IVAR....spot-ON Nice write-up from a Polaris owner---just kidding........with pics and Simmons Gen 2 skis this is an awsome sled. I find that sitting higher certainly has its advantages---especially my knees and back, but in some respects I miss sitting down in the sled like on my Zrs and Firecat.....but all in all its an awsome sled.....again thanks for your view

·
Registered
28 Posts
I like the looks of them, that's why they make lots of different sleds. Nice comments, and I fully agree with you on how it runs on snow covered ice. I have a XLT Polaris have ridden for years , but it has studs. In the first 100 miles on the Z1 I did a couple of 180's that I was not trying to do, lucky it was at low speed and not much on the gas. It slips a lot. Guess have to get some stud's on over this summer. But overall a fine ride so far.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts