Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Advanced Lummox
17,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most of you know my sled has 9200+miles about 9072 on odo(blew the speedo bearing so that is where the 130 miles is from)

My new engine has 1400miles

Does it really matter on a sled what the odometer says????

When I look at sleds the mileage is secondary to shape of sled,track suspension and compression of engine

Anyone know if its like a car where you can be charged???

btw the speedo say 9065 when i blew the engine but ran another 6 miles til I got help

·
Registered
2021 Polaris Matryx 850 Switchback Assault 146
2,713 Posts
why would you want to change it???? the frame still has over 9000mi

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
The only problem with a sled that"s got that kind of mileage on it is it becomes a keeper once you spend spend spend on it. I"ve got my 97 V-Maxx with 11,000 kms on it but it"s basically completely rebuilt. it has a rebuilt motor,new track,both rear shocks,all new bearings,bushings,sliders,tunnel protectors,carbides,exhaust gaskets,ski skins,windshield,airbox cover,tunnel"s been painted etc etc. There"s alot of life left in the old ride and hope to get another bunch of years and kms out of it.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
i would leave the speedo with the chassis as its keeping track of chassis miles just keep track of how many miles are on your new motor and how many miles were on the sled when you put the new motor in, where you go to sell it give the new owner those numbers no big deal.

to me anyway miles mean nothing

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
It is illegal if you sell it and do not disclose the accurate mileage...It could very well be illegal to tamper with a speedo too!

·
Registered
193 Posts
You sound like a person who takes pride in what he has so leave the old one in and rack the miles on even more and brag about it. I met a guy at Ted's in Meaford on a 600 deluxe last year that had 20,000 kms + on his sled and he was hoping to put more on and was proud as punch to say he did it. Plus I think you have disclose , when and if you sell it, what the actual mileage is.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
If you did it because you want to sell your ride and get a higher price....that would be low and un-ethical.
Legal?? Who would ever know.

I would keep the original. It's like a badge of honour.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Freezie; Do want you want, it's your sled. My first speedo crapped out at over 20K and the second one has over 12K on it. People look at my sled when I tell them it has over 30K on it and say No Way!

·
Super Advanced Lummox
17,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ya i seen a few 25,000+km sleds that you would think they were only a couple 1000klicks

and seen some with a thousand and there was no more snot left in them

thanx for the input guys' :snack:

I just like to think out loud :)

I understand some of your concerns,I was told when I bought my sled it was rebuilt with Cat pistons 3yrs ago, but after Justin torn it apart it became apparent it had aftermarket pistons

·
Registered
203 Posts
Met a trail patroll last winter with a 1993 phazer 485 with just over 39,000 kms on his sled and the motor was never apart and he just put his second track on the sled. The sled was in show room conditon.

G

·
The wifes speedo has not worked for 2 years now, she does not go fast enough to need one. I would disclose an estimate as to mileage if selling it but at the age the sled is, the overall condition and asking price would most likely make the sale. On your sled FB, I would leave the speedo and start running up the miles, still time to get that thing over 12500 this season. I would buy a sled from you with very high miles as I know it is well maintained, as you said some with low mileage are beat up and some older high milers are mint. I recall a certain F7 on here that was beat to piss in a year with very low miles.

·
Registered
2021 Polaris Matryx 850 Switchback Assault 146
2,713 Posts
. I recall a certain F7 on here that was beat to piss in a year with very low miles.[/b]

LOL, The one that Sold on eBay for $6,150

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
That's the first Cat speedo I've seen with over 3000 on it. "New track, idlers and fresh top end 2800 miles" !! makes me laugh
Nobody keeps actual mileage, well except me.

I know the new Apex's won't run with it disconnected

·
Banned
8,101 Posts
That's the first Cat speedo I've seen with over 3000 on it. "New track, idlers and fresh top end 2800 miles" !! makes me laugh
Nobody keeps actual mileage, well except me.

I know the new Apex's won't run with it disconnected[/b]
Are you sure about that ?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I would much rather buy a sled that has high maintained milage than a sled with low non-maintained milage.
Freeze, I believe you are a guy that is stand up and would disclose any known problems. Just let her roll.

·
Super Advanced Lummox
17,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would much rather buy a sled that has high maintained milage than a sled with low non-maintained milage.
Freeze, I believe you are a guy that is stand up and would disclose any known problems. Just let her roll.[/b]

Yup you got that right

I just can't keep my yap shut :lol:

I have a problem its posted :)

·
Registered
360 Posts
My sled is a 2001, in 2003 I changed the track to a 1.5 lug and had to change the drives to 7 tooth( or inch whatever they called them ) from 9 tooth. It thinks it has gone a 30% more miles since then than it actually has, the olde girl will flip over 10,000 miles on my next trip out. Other than minor general maintenance stuff everything is original and never been touched.

The wifes sled has 9400 miles on it and looks like it came out of the show room and other than skid bearings is all original.

By the time i trade them off the mileage really has no effect on the price anyhow

Does mileage matter, no so much as how the been ridden and cared for.

These guys that trade off a sled with 6000 or 8000 kms and call it high mileage make me laugh

I have to admit I have been sneaking a peek at those 2008 IQ touring sleds...........

1 - 18 of 18 Posts