Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a darting 600 ZL SS ESR. There seems to be no tab on the front shock spring to fit into the adjusting collar ( to allow the collar to rotate up or down when the spring is turned ) Am I missing something? I also noticed that the skis are not tipping up when I suspend them . It used to be that the skis had to be tightened to 40-45 ft. lbs. with the tips propped up one inch. Since service manuals are not available, I need to ask the experts at HCS :blink:

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
is it like this on both(shocks ) i have a zl and mine are there?try adjusting the limiter strap or the rear spring tension something to get more ski pressure how much do you weigh?i weigh 170 fully clothes and no darting

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am 170 plus a few pounds for clothes. Can't adjust front skid frame spring preload on SS, only the limiter strap is adjustable and I only want to move that as a last resort. I looked at the part breakdown on brownsleisureworld.com and it actually looks like the front A-arm spring has a tab on the top of the coils but not on the bottom. That makes no sense because the tab would fit in a retaining collar. Tried the AC site but they recommend talking to the dealer. <_<

·
Registered
198 Posts
You need to lighten ski pressure to reduce darting so the first place to start is your a-arms. Loosen the spring setting which usually helps. Check you ski alignment, should be 1 1/8- 1 1/4 toe out on the skis. If all else fails, skidoo makes a plastic fork made to fit AC skis( they have two styles, use the longer style). It is attached to the front of the skis just ahead of the skag and is excellent for darting. I have put thousands of miles on them and they work.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did check the toe out first ( 3/8 of an inch from the first bolt of the runners to the last ) I also took out three complete turns on the front springs. I am still curious why there is a tab on the top of the spring and no tab on the bottom that would fit into the adjusting collar. I am positive the springs are mounted correctly ( dense coils on the bottom ) If I don't like the feel after these tweaks, I may try those forks you mentioned- Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a ZL600SS 2003. To fix the darting, I installed the Woody's Doolies and it's like adding power steering to the sled.

Have fun in the snow.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ZL600SS- would you have a part number for the Woody's Dualies? The remedy that SPUDAC sounds great but the added carbide of the dual runners may work better with the studded track. Thanks to both
BTW - how do like the ZL 600 SS and what color is it?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have an '02 zl ss and weigh about 170. I set the rear springs to the middle position when I got the sled and havent touched anything other spring settings. Mine will dart occasionally.....depending on conditions.....but not enough to be a problem. I did have to set up my front end....as the dealer did nothing to my sled for setup. It is set for 1/4" toe out. Did you use a bungie to tie the front of the skis together when checking toe??

Ron

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No I did not use a bungee to hold the loops together- but I will now!

Took a small ride last night and maybe 3 turns out is too much- the bite in the corners was much less than before. I will add one more turn in. I am still wondering why the tab on the front spring is up in the retainer and not down on the adjusting collar?

The question for everyone is- on progressive rate springs, do the dense section of coils go on the bottom or the top of the shock?

Happy New Year to all and may your season last untill May :D :D

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rain last night and 40 degree weather today gave me some time to work on the ZL SS. I am here to tell you the springs on my front shocks are upside down. I turned them around and the tab on the spring fits in the adjusting collar perfectly. I am now able to adjust the springs to a position that will reduce darting.
I was able to put a little wax on and man this sled looks good :D :D

Santa gave Mother a digital camera for Christmas so as soon as she gets good at it I will post pictures B)

B

·
0 Posts
Look at the top of the spring, I bet you'll find that the springs are upside down. Mine were on my zl800ss. Not very hard to turn around (in a garage), but particularly irritating when discovered on the trail.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry it took so long to reply; I was away for awhile. The number for Woody's Dooly runers is D4A-9750: the 4 is for the length of the carbide. You can also get the 6­­'' or 8'' carbide. I bought a burnt orange ZL600SS last year and a grey one this year; it's a looker. My wife took the 2002: I put 3500 hundred miles on it last year. No problems except for a broken APV valve cable.

Have fun. :)

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have :D

The sled ran like it was on rails the other night when the temps were in the single digits. The only thing I didn't like was the push I got when I hit some icy turns. Most of this is me learning to adjust to a studded track. Last year without studs I would have the ass end trying to come around in the same situation and been steering the opposite way.

Thanks for the dually number

I am working on the pics :wub:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Well I'll be damned......I took a look at my front shocks over the weekend and my springs are upside down too! This sled has always handled so well, I never had to touch them. The trails locally are really beat up so before I took a ride last night, I cranked the rear springs from the middle to stiffest. Man, this thing is amazing.....I could fly through the big stuff and it still smoothed out the stutters like no other! This is one great sled.....I like it more every time I ride it.

Anyone have their SS shocks rebuild yet?? I have 1200 miles and I think I'm going to have it done.....do they charge more for the SS???

Ron

·
Registered
942 Posts
I set my springs to the stiffest too, and love the ride. I used to wince when I came to 1 foot whoops or stutter bumps with my old sled, but now I just smile. The springs are upside down because A/C found they rode better that way from what I've read. Makes them tough to adjust. Use the Craftsman strap wrench for that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts