Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured I'd post how things are going with my little project. 04 Pro XR 440 getting a 800 big bore Ultra.

Heres the steering. I was determined to keep the same riding position as it had stock, which would be the over-the-motor variety. Thats not even close to an easy task because theres that wonderful third cylinder in the way of its stock location. I screwd around and screwed around but nothing was really working. I didn't like the idea of putting a Ujoing in the shaft to make the bend around the engine. I then tried going under the engine but that posed other problems. Frickin nothing was working, and I had spent way too much time and was getting slightly irritated with the whole deal. What I eventually ended up doing was putting the engine at 10.5" OC spacing (originally 11.5" for the 1080 belt) and drop the front of the plate down 1/4" or so (mostly to get clearance for my K&N's at the jackshaft). Then had to remove the stock upper bracket on the steering loop and make my own that stuck out about an inch further and up a little. Also removed the stock mount on the bulkhead and made another one further inward. To compliment my new mounts I also made a new steering post, which was joyfully fun. I'm really happy with the results. I want this sled to be fairly modified, but not to look it. The steering has a fairly stock appearance so I'm happy....besides the countless hours I spent figuring out what in the hell would actually work.

Entire album here: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v60/squi.../04%20pro%20xr/

A few........

Full lock left

Full lock right

A bit of a tight fit

Upper mount

Lower mount

hooray, now onto adjusting the pipes for the engine being back and that steering post kind of being in the way of the mag pipe.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
To compliment my new mounts I also made a new steering post, which was joyfully fun.[/b]
When it works it will be great thing to lift the hood and see. Understand the frustration and satisfaction from past projects myself.
You got grease on those fancy white water jackets. Nice work, snows coming. :div20:

Bob

·
Registered
413 Posts
Obviously you're an advanced fabricator. Impressive. What's the old saying necessity is the mother of invention........
Is there a belt you can use for the 10.5 C-C tough enough for the motor?

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You got grease on those fancy white water jackets. Nice work, snows coming. :div20:[/b]
Yea, I've gotta redo them. I've pulled the motor at least 40 times so they got a little chipped and beat up.

Is there a belt you can use for the 10.5 C-C tough enough for the motor?[/b]
Yamaha G8H belt is 267mm or 10.51" (used on the appex and mountian max's) or the IQ 440 belt is 10.625 which I could get to work.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I can only wish i had that kind of ambition! Looks good though, and best of luck getting those pipes in there. It should be sick when its done.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
awsome job Squid :div20: , like it alot, i guess you will need all your eight arms (squid joke) to manage all this, im really impressed by the fab work, this one will be awsome to see when finished, keep up the good work :beerchug:

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got the pipes mostly done today....just gotta put a few inches of pipe to get through the belly pan after the silencers, a few spring mounts, 1 silencer mount, some paint and they're done. They fit together good, just fits like ass with the hood. I stopped caring though. My hood was kinda beat up anyway, and I was sick of f'n with cutting the pipes, so I just cut the hood. It doesn't look to pretty but whatever, it works. Once I get some fuel lines and electrical squared away it'll start....and that's honestly all I want right now. Eventually (as in over summer) I'd like to make the 5 mile drive and have Rugland make me pipes....then get a new hood :no_bashing:

The only other thing I gotta do is get more clearance for my filters. The engine angle still isn't enough to clear the jackshaft very well. I've got less then 1/4" and I know thats not good enough. Might just make a shield for them to rest on for know.

And the lovely hood. The hole is rough cut so it looks even worse. :fluffy:

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
Good Job Squidward... Looking good... It takes a ton of paitence to take on these triple projects.. But all worth the effort
once the fun button is squeeeeeezed... sit back and drink a few more beers.. :beerchug:

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm gettin 'er done hit 'n run....finally. Am waiting on my clutch to get reshimmed for the IQ440 belt and for the Q2 nozzles to get in. All I've really got left to do is put a few mounts on the silencer and it'll be rideable :shifty: Oh, and mount the choke cable and heater switch. Otherwise it actually looks like a sled. Some things (routing mostly) are a little rough, but they'll get smoothed out soon enough. Wooohoooo...until tuning time comes lol.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hehehe....took it for a few spins down the sidewalk, then brake-checked off the curb and came back up on the road. Have some minor things to do, like install my fancy new Digatron and mount the choke and handwarmer switch but whatever, I actually got to ride it around. Those hot seat pipes sound mean, not quite under 88 dB so if/when I come accross a wanker DNR warden I'm going to have issues. This weekend I'm going to go broke paying for fuel Muuuuwaaahahahaha :shifty:

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
hehehe....took it for a few spins down the sidewalk, then brake-checked off the curb and came back up on the road. Have some minor things to do, like install my fancy new Digatron and mount the choke and handwarmer switch but whatever, I actually got to ride it around. Those hot seat pipes sound mean, not quite under 88 dB so if/when I come accross a wanker DNR warden I'm going to have issues. This weekend I'm going to go broke paying for fuel Muuuuwaaahahahaha :shifty:[/b]
can´t wait to hear what the sled is like, insane project, extremly cool :thumbsup: ,
i will get my cut and welded rev tank tonight, and the boss seat maybe tomorrow, maybe i can close the gap between the couwling and tank now and get it mounted...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts