Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the impending warm-up that's now upon us, I figured that I'd better get my riding in while I can. On Saturday I intended to take my wife out for her first ride, so I decided to head out on Friday after work to scout the trails ahead of time. I left Heartwellville at around 5:30, and found that the trail out of the parking lot still hadn't been groomed since the last snowfall. The trail was beat, with a lot of open water. I headed west on Trail 9 toward the Harriman reservoir. There was a fair amount of open water and a lot of bumps. I turned around at the last clearing prior to running under the powerlines and then along the lake. There wasn't much sense in going further, this trail wasn't in good enough shape to bring my wife on. I headed back to BN 11 and headed north into Woodford. The trails were bumpy, but had no water bars. In woodford, I saw a beautiful sight... 3 groomers just leaving the garage. I had the pleasure of being the first sled over some freshly groomed trails, including the power lines! After the groomer came to a stop in a safe place for me to pass by, I continued up through BN 5 and on to Airport Rd. Airport Rd was pounded hard... as bad as I've seen in a couple seasons. 12" moguls were the norm, with some sections getting above 2'. There were even some doozies that were higher than that. But, this was a good chance for me to finally see how good my CF Sno Pro was in the big bumps, and I was very happy with it. After getting to Kelly Stand road, I turned around and headed back. Once again I got a huge workout on Airport Rd, then turned onto the Glastenbury loop (not the fire-tower trail, but the 7A trail that takes you to those trails) down into woodford to cruise on the freshly groomed trails again, then back home on 7. A quick 65 miles in 2 hours.

On saturday morning, I took my wife out for her very first ride. She was on my 02 ZL SS, riding it for the first time. We took it slow and easy out of Heartwellville, and made our way to the Woodford Mall so that she could use the bathroom. The trails were super smooth, thanks to Friday night's grooming. We went on to A-Z so I could get breakfast at the Patty Wagon. After that we headed north to the intersection where Trail 100 intersects trail 7. We turned around, and took the glastenbury loop (7A) back into Woodford, where we stopped at the mall for lunch. As the the temps came up and the trails got more heavily travelled, they started to get bumpy, though we were going slow enough that it really didn't matter. After lunch, we headed back to Heartwellville. By then, the trails had gotten sticky, and she was having a real hard time handling the sled because of the heavy steering and the darting. All said and done, we got 60 miles in, and she had a great time. She can't wait to go again! but, I've got to get rid of that ski pressure first.

On Sunday, I headed out with a couple friends. We got a late start (10:30) and it was already warm when we left. We decided to head past the Harriman reservoir and ride some of the smaller trails. We headed right at WM 14 toward the power lines that bring you down into Heath MA. There wasn't a whole lot of snow that way, and as we approached the power lines, we found ourselves riding up more brooks than trail. Just as we got under the power lines, we wound up on snow that had no base underneath it, and I got my sled stuck. We decided to turn around and head back to the more populated trails. We got back on 9E and heated into Whitingham and on to the Jacksonville store for lunch. After lunch, we headed home. This route was extremely bumpy, as it typically is. The smaller club doesn't have the same kind of grooming equipment that Woodford has, plus the trails are too small to accomodate a big groomer anyway. But, it's fun to ride these smaller trails that go through so many people's yards. It's an entirely different experience than Woodford. But... I won't be going that way again until we get colder temps and more snow. All said, I got about 60 miles in on Sunday.

What a weekend!

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, and I forgot to mention (and for whatever reason, this forum won't let me go back and edit) that on Saturday we ran into a couple fellow HCS'ers in Woodford. We chatted with them for a while, and might even wind up doing some riding together.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Oh, and I forgot to mention (and for whatever reason, this forum won't let me go back and edit) that on Saturday we ran into a couple fellow HCS'ers in Woodford. We chatted with them for a while, and might even wind up doing some riding together.[/b]

Hey Jim, that was my brother and I on Saturday, it was nice to meet you and your wife and I am glad you had a good rest of your ride, we rode south after meeting you then called it a day early after 115 miles. When winter returns we will be sure to get in touch, as we said we like to get out 1 night a week and then early in the day on the weekends.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm looking forward to it. I'm not real fond of riding alone, so any chance I get to ride with others on a week night is fine with me!

If you don't hear from me by the time we get more snow, feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
233 Posts
We started in bernarndston Ma. and went through colrain into Vt. onto 9. Then to hogback around snow, somerset,woodford,Harriman and back. For me the good riding was in colrain and hogback. Most of the ride was really bumpy. I mean more than normal. Woodford was really bumped by 2. Not really 1 smooth trail. It was a hard 150 miles but as always...loved every minute.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts