Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day All. I decided to start a new discussion as nothing i have seen has bee specific to my machine. What i am looking for is what/ Where do i need to order as far as a New Helix, Primary Spring and Secondary Spring. And i would like to be informed of NEW parts that are currently available. In other discussions i have been recommended parts that are no longer available. This just make me even more confused. What i would like is to replace my existing blue Primary Spring with a New Blue Primary spring or its equivalent. I also would like to replace the existing Red Secondary Spring with the next level up. Most people have been saying a Black one but when i reach out to Polaris they tell me that there are 4 different black one. I dont know what one to get, they have Black 160/280, 180/280, 140/300,160/300, 180/300. Im sorry but i have no idea what those numbers mean. id also like to upgrade me Helix to a 42/34 degree. Please help me. Thank you all

·
Registered
48,437 Posts
Is this a trail sled, or do you plan to do ice drags? Unfortunately for a trail sled the good stuff like the black ice 42/34 helix and black spring slp once sold is nla due to the sleds age. You can still get your blue primary clutch spring and weights. Best you can do is find someone who will sell you the used parts. Imo, nothing else works much better than stock. You'd be wasting money.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for the information. This sled is only being used on trails. Im an old man LOL. i think i found a black spring for my secondary now i just need to find a blue one for the Primary, Ill stick with my OEM Helix.

·
Registered
48,437 Posts
The slp black part# was 40-3 i believe. Its has a .177 wire dia, and and extra coil than the polaris red for more side pressure that you'd want for a multi angle helix like 42/34. I ran that combo in stock xlt's and xcr's as well as ones with pipes. It worked very well.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good day here I go again with questions. This time it’s about p85 secondary clutch buttons. I read that the aftermarket buttons (slippery buttons) are way better an last a lot longer. Is this true and if so do you know where I can find them and a part number that would match my 1994 Polaris XLT SKS 580. I got a new black spring and a 42/36 helix and now want to change the buttons as well

·
Registered
48,437 Posts
Good day here I go again with questions. This time it’s about p85 secondary clutch buttons. I read that the aftermarket buttons (slippery buttons) are way better an last a lot longer. Is this true and if so do you know where I can find them and a part number that would match my 1994 Polaris XLT SKS 580. I got a new black spring and a 42/36 helix and now want to change the buttons as well
Originally those slippery buttons work well. Idk if they had bad batches or what, but later ones were breaking apart. Hsp sold some good ones too. Only ones i'd trust now are the poo ones or epi.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi all not sure if anyone is out there this time of year but I’m looking for more suggestions/help. I have bought so many new part the latest being a top e d kit and carburetor rebuild kit for my xlt SKS 580. Now that I’m getting ready to start I’m thinking that I should get the bottom end and all crank and jack shaft bearings redone first . My sled has over 11,000 miles on it and has never had the engine rebuilt so I’m very scared that I spend all of this money doing the top end only to have the crank fail or something like that. What do you all think?

·
Registered
48,437 Posts
Hi all not sure if anyone is out there this time of year but I’m looking for more suggestions/help. I have bought so many new part the latest being a top e d kit and carburetor rebuild kit for my xlt SKS 580. Now that I’m getting ready to start I’m thinking that I should get the bottom end and all crank and jack shaft bearings redone first . My sled has over 11,000 miles on it and has never had the engine rebuilt so I’m very scared that I spend all of this money doing the top end only to have the crank fail or something like that. What do you all think?
Smart move. Costly if unable to do all the work yourself. Your better off finding a good used engine. Imo, any 2 stroke is pretty tired with over 11k miles, and not worth putting any money into.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow you sure are giving me a lot to think of. Thank you so much for the input. When you say to find a good replacement engine do you mean another 580? Or is there another better/ more powerful triple I can put in it ?

·
Registered
48,437 Posts
Wow you sure are giving me a lot to think of. Thank you so much for the input. When you say to find a good replacement engine do you mean another 580? Or is there another better/ more powerful triple I can put in it ?
I would stick with a 580 if you can locate a good one. The 600' s had crank issues till late 97. I guess if you can find a good late 97 600 xlt engine that has the 4th pto oil line, thats even better. You'll need the carbs unless you able to rejet/tune your 34's to accommodate the larger displacement high port 97 600 triple, plus provide a 4th oil pump line which likely would require a new oil pump for that engine....hopefully it would come with the pump, but seen some that were missing. May require some clutch tuning also.
All said, if it were me, i'd be looking for a newer sled, or take my chances till this one leaves you on the side of the trail.

·
Registered
2014 ZR8000lxr 21-22 mileage 500mi
4,729 Posts
What he said. Unless you want to plow money into it regularly go newer. That triple sounds great on the trail but it's a time bomb for upkeep and especially now that it's 20+ years old.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
good morning all. I was rebuilding my P85 secondary clutch on my 1994 Polaris XLT SKS 580 . I was just wondering about the installation of the new Buttons. The old one were really in there but the new ones just seemed to slid in and just sit in there loosely. If i flipped the clutch half over they would simply slide out of place. Is this normal? or is there something i need to do to make sure that they are locked into place?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Also i have another question. All summer my sled has been leaking oil just a few drops at a time. Since last march i have lost about half a tank of oil. I cant seem to find where it is leaking from. Ive taken off the air box so that i can see the tank and all the hoses well, i have cleaned everything off (Tank, Oil pump and Oil Lines) to see if i can see anything getting wet but i have not. Any suggestions of where else i need to look?
Thank you all in advance

·
Registered
48,437 Posts
good morning all. I was rebuilding my P85 secondary clutch on my 1994 Polaris XLT SKS 580 . I was just wondering about the installation of the new Buttons. The old one were really in there but the new ones just seemed to slid in and just sit in there loosely. If i flipped the clutch half over they would simply slide out of place. Is this normal? or is there something i need to do to make sure that they are locked into place?
Thats not normal. Are they polaris buttons? Some of the aftermarkets are crap. Epi has been good. Make sure you shim them correctly.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts