Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife complains that her rear end is a little slippery (I've tried the sled and agree that the rear is loose (manageable for me though)).
The sled has the stock track (.725) with 96 studs. This track was only used by cat for 1 year, then they moved to the .85 track. I've tried all suspension adjustments and not much has helped.

Thinking about a .85 or 1 inch track or maybe a few more studs in the current track.

Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
978 Posts
what size is it?

i would put more studs... 120 or 144

is it hard to steer? mabe u have to much wieght on the front causeing the back end to fish tail...thats wahats happeniong on my bros 01 classic 700 wit 96 studs...it could use a few more also

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 99 ZL6. I had a 99zr6 (the same sled with fox shocks and a .85 track) and the rear was solid.

It's harder to steer than my F7. I've adjusted everything back and forth. I want to add more studs over a new track but I'm also not sure this will fix it. Pretty sure a track will do the job but it's way more money and well she doesn't ride too much.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've got the same sled and I think it .85 track. Here what I run, 144 studs and 6" carbide in front. For a 600 144 studs is what the stud manufactures are recommending. As for adjustment it will take some tinkering, but you will get it right. My sled performs very good and the track hooks up good. Buy a few more studs and make some adjustments. Good Luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My '99 ZL had the .75 track. I put 120 Woody's .820 Gold Diggers on that sled, along with Woody's Trailblazer IV (6" carbide, 1/2" host bar) on and it ran like it was on rails...The front carbides seemed to wear quickly, but the studs were fantastic. I usd the 'standard' pattern with some studs on the outer belt sections (I think there was a stud every other outer lug with that pattern; 96 studs on the inner belt, and 24 on the outer belt)....No bent studs (they were the 5/16" version) but after 1400 miles I had about a half-dozen missing the carbide tip-but they still worked great. I had to drill out the bolt holes to get the front carbides mounted; I would reccomend factory AC (7/16" host bar) 6" carbides as a match for the 120 diggers. Proper adjustment of the suspension and slide adjusters is critical to proper handling..I increased the preload on the front springs a little, then tightened up on the slide adjusters (to force more weight onto the front end) and this setup worked great for me...I also moved the rear spring preload blocks to the 2nd position (I'm 190 lbs) and the sled was great...Now, I sold the sled and have an '03 ZL600EFI that I have set up very similar...Hope this helps, happy trails!! :D

·
Registered
354 Posts
My z370 also had the small track, but it may have been a different model. It did not hook at all, and this track was very weak!!!!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
My 99 ZL600 efi came stock with a .750 track as did all of them. Before it had one mile on it , I put on a .850 track from a ZR. Paid 325.00 for the ZR track and sold the ZL track for 290.00 . Then added 120 stud boy studs in the center belt only. Works very well. ....... . tigger

·
Registered
20,047 Posts
i have the same sled with a .75 inch track on it. I started out with 96 studs and that wasnt enough so i put 144 in it and the rear end sticks real good. as for my suspension settings I have the springs on the front shocks turned to the middle of the threads on the shocks, I have the spring in middle of the threads on the front shock in my rear suspension, I have about an inch of threads showing behind the nut on the limiter straps. I now have 5000 miles on my studs and none have ripped out, or caused damage to the track.

·
Premium Member
12,779 Posts
I would move her up to a 1" track with studs, sure it'll rob some horsepower to drive it but from a safety aspect its the way to go. I'm running a 1.25 on my 800 and would never go back to a lesser track on any sled.

Rick.

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
did you back off on the limiter straps and/or loosen the front shocks? ps. if her rear ends still loose.. try the "buns of steel " video . lol .... had to do it

·
Premium Member
12,779 Posts
Buns of steel, I think my wife has an un-used copy here someplace.........best intentions are a wonderful thing.

LMFAO
Rick.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
when snotech tested this sledd in 99 they changed to the .85 track right from the start and also put the coupling kit from aftermarket in also, but this track was used for years i had same track on my 98 zl-500 and the design of this track was used by cat for at least 8 years not just 1 they did however changed to the .85 in 2000 i had 96 studs also but put 6 inch carbides in too and tightened up limiter a little bit seem ok but my 02 has a 1 inch track and i would rather have the .85 zr track

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the input. This is what I did.

Added another 48 studs to make a total of 144

checked ski allignment and noticed TOE IN!. Adjsuted it to toe OUT.

Sled now tracks great. Wife gave me a big hug. I think the ski allignment had the most effect on the improved handeling.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts