Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about buying a 99 XLT Classic. Can anyone tell me about their experience with this sled? Thanks

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
6,145 Posts
Originally posted by obewon@Oct 4 2005, 11:34 AM
I'm thinking about buying a 99 XLT Classic.  Can anyone tell me about their experience with this sled?  Thanks
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=907484
[/quote]
99 XLT Classic is in the Evolved chassis, it has a 121" Xtra-12 rear suspension.

This is a beautiful candy apple red machine.

The 99 XLT SP had 3 rack mount slidevalve TM38 carbs in an Aggressive Body with an Xtra-10 rear suspension.

The 99 XLT Tourings were Evolved with 133" Xtra-12 rear suspension.

If it has been well maintained and greased, You could have a lot of fun out of it. They have good smooth power, reasonable handling, nice ride, they are pretty muffled so when they were new you couldn't hear the 3 cylinder song too well.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response. I'm not sure one way or the other, but Polarisman.com shows a 99 XLT classic, and that is how the seller advertised it, so I assume that's what it is.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks excursionPSD. Looks like you were adding your comments while I was typing mine. Any idea on how durable? I've read many comments about the crank issues on earlier models, but it would seem that they were solved by 99. Other than that, it looks like this has what I'm looking for, and I'm pretty tempted to buy it.

·
Vendor
17,622 Posts
Yeap he's right!!!

I had a 1997 XLT Limited and my old man has a 1998 XLT Limited. I didn't have any complaints on mine other then the CDI box went out on mine after about 25 miles. :banghead:

I would say it is a super trail cruiser for the money. :div20:

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
6,145 Posts
Originally posted by obewon@Oct 4 2005, 02:02 PM
Thanks excursionPSD.  Looks like you were adding your comments while I was typing mine.  Any idea on how durable?  I've read many comments about the crank issues on earlier models, but it would seem that they were solved by 99.  Other than that, it looks like this has what I'm looking for, and I'm pretty tempted to buy it.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=907806
[/quote]
I put 20,000 miles on my 99 XLT SP that I longtracked and only rebuilt the top end once. The bottom end was pristine, did not need any bearings, just seals. The addition of the stronger PTO bearing setup and the dedicated oil line made a big difference in the crank durability.

·
Registered
767 Posts
i own a 99 xlt special.i love the sled!! i think it rides smoother than my 03 edge x,the engine is certainly smoother.the only problem i had with it, actualy kind of big one,is that the engine threw a rod through the bottom end,a case of one to many jaeger bombs,too long of a straight trail,and too strong of a thumb,and some questionable pre season maintance.but i found a engine to replace it and i still run it. :party:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts