Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back story....sold in 08 to my brother for peanuts. He only trail rode it for 2 seasons, and for the balance of time it had very little use besides driving it to and from the storage shed at the rear of his property. He asked a few weeks back if I wanted to give it a good home, and of course I said yes!
It's gonna need a pile of going over as he wasn't exactly a guy who feels like I do about P.M. but the price was right.
Will be reaching out to Roger to see if he can do a water pump rebuild for me.....my brother did put a used unit on a few years back, but who knows how many miles it already had on it.
I put a metric M-10 skid in it at 1000 miles that I had in a previous Indy, along with a Holtzman Tempa-Flo, Cobra windshield, and a Travelcade aftermarket seat cover....otherwise all stock.
Going to need a new track and studs, driveline bearings, four shocks rebuilt, then whatever else pops up.
Looking forward to returning her to the trail for next season!

Some pics

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 Pro R Switchback
3,908 Posts
love it. i believe that 700 was faster than the 800 of that year. One year wonder IIRC

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, she was very quick for sure. I'm certain I scrubbed off a little speed everywhere with the install of that M-10, but there was lots of balls in that motor. That M-10 was the shit at the time, and I had already enjoyed a couple seasons with it in a 95 Indy....it took a little tinkering with, but once dialed in it was great for the riding I did.

The engine was a blast....I had it jetted for trail use early on, before installing Tempa-Flo, and it was on the ragged edge....but snappy! I recall it really liked cold weather, and when it was warmer it ran rich and blubbered along. A return to stock jetting and the Tempa-Flo really seemed to even things out across temperature spreads, and it got much better fuel mileage too....I remember having to hunt hard for fuel by 80miles before that.
I never did have it on the gun, so no idea of top speed....saw 125 on it's speedo a couple times on lake runs, but I know that Polaris clocks were ridiculously optimistic back then.

She's gonna need a brake master cylinder rebuild too....it was dry as dust inside and all the paint had fallen off the master body, so I'm not sure what gives. I saw another post on here about finding a Cat Wilwood unit with braided line...that may be a better go.

I was jumping back and forth between the TZ1 and the XCR tonight in the garage....what a difference in riding position! I'm over 6' and don't recall being cramped on the old girl....but a lot changed over that time!

·
Registered
22 Posts
That's really nice machine, especially with the M-10 underneath it. You should really consider upgrading the master cylinder. I had an Ultra SPX and a 700 XC Anniversary and I remember the newer brake on the XC was a lot better. I believe that a Wilwood master cylinder will go on in place of an aggressor m/c without much modification.

Nice that it came back to it's former home to somebody who's going to go over it again.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Nice sled! Love the look of those machines. Just bought a really clean '97 Ultra Touring for my son and his kids. Enjoy the rebuild.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts