Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cleaning my clutches tonight on my gf's 99 xc 700 when i noticed that on her primary clutch there was a hairline crack in the sheeve farthest from the engine about 1/2" long. it is about 1/2" above where the belt sits . is this something i can have tig welded by a professional , and then ground , sanded smooth ? or is it something i would have to replace ? as far as i know it might of even been like this last year!........what should i do ? :dunno:

i tell ya ......when it rains it F-ing pours :banghead:

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
You cannot buy just one sheave. Is it cracked all the way through? If not it may be able to be machined down. I have seen many run with no problems with this, just keep an eye on it, as it will usually get worse. Caused by too much belt heat, usually too high an engagement with too much slow speed just above engagement riding, or slow vehicle speed, high rpm in deep snow/high load. Also if there is belt slip from the secondary nor being set-up right, clutch alignment, belt type.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I would change the clutch before a catastrophic failure occurs.
What is now just a primary clutch expense will end up being a motor and or worse.
Not pretty when the primary comes apart.....been there.

Lot's of used and wrecker options........I wouldn't switch parts in the primary unless you have the entire thing balanced when you're done.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what if i found a broken primary around that had something else wrong with it and the sheeve i need was fine , could i use that ? looks like i am going to have to spend alot more money than i wanted to this year :dunno:

·
Brand loyal, not brand blind
15,148 Posts
how valuable is your gf's safety to you

gf isn't general foreman, right :lol:

·
Registered
202 Posts
best to get rid of that clutch When mine let go on my old MACH 1 , it blew apart my hood, put holes through my exaust, broke a motor mount, bent the hell out of my secondary and big piece of it bounced up into my foot trough the foot rest not to mention what it did to the belt cover. I was limping for a long time after, if that had been my head it would have been game over. Before this all happened I desided to replace just a sheth on the one side of the clutch because it was cheaper despite being warned that the restwas probably microfractured and would come apart as well!!! :banghead:

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I had exactly the same problem on my 94 XLT. Usually caused by a worn cover or sheave bushing.
I work in an aerospace overhaul facility, so I had a welder friend help me out. We ground the crack out completely, welded it up and had it blended by hand. We did a pre-heat and then a post bake stress relief.
I put about 5000 additional miles on that machine before I sold it and it never cracked again!!!
I'm also have welding & metallurgy experience, so I knew that this was possible. Especially when you see the repairs we perform on aircraft parts!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 2000 700 that snaped the entire shaft off had to buy a new clutch it was factory and got replaced with the factory 2001 700 clutch

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
does anyone know the part # for an electric start kit for my 99 xc 700 ? i might as well get it since it comes with a new primary clutch anyways !

$499 or something right ?

·
Registered
17,159 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts