Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last season I had problems a few times with my headlights going dim. This always seemed to happen at idle a few minutes after I started the sled and would go away while I was riding. I believe this would happen on both bright & dim settings.

I just pulled the sled out for the year, while it was warming up the lights appeared to be working fine. After about 5 minutes of idling I went back out and the lights were dim. I hit the dimmer switch and now had nothing on bright, hit it again and only the centre bulb would come on and was very dim.

After reading some old posts I am thinking maybe the voltage regulator is shot. From what I remeber from my problem last year, only the headlight would go dim - nothing else seemed to be effected. The tach light and one of the taillight bulbs recently burned out as well, not sure if this is just a coincidence?

My original thought was prehaps just a bad ground. Can anyone tell me where the headlights would ground to the chasis?

·
Banned
12,547 Posts
Try a new voltage reg.Quick and easy fix.
Steve

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am also experiencing this dimming problem on my 99 XC500. Put in a new bulb and checked over all the connections and wires...where is the voltage regulator located on the sled?

·
Registered
314 Posts
I believe the voltage regulator is located just above the foot rest on the right hand side[/b]
I am not sure about that year sled but the newer edge chassis had them on the left side mounted just above the footwell. You might check there if it's not on the right.

Also does your sled have electric start? If so, it may be possible that the lighting coil is going out or has gone out. If electric start equipped does the battery have enough cranking power?

If no electric start then sounds like voltage regulator or lighting coil. Assuming all of the wiring and connections are okay.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Cculd be a wire grounding out under the seat or under the motor. My 98 the first time i pulled my motor i found the recoil housing had rubbed through the main wires running under the motor, very tight under their and may have been not in the right place, i'm glad i found that. Just food for thought. Later, Sideways

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tip. I am really hoping I don't have to pull the engine to find this problem.

I looked for an aftermarket voltage regulator but didn't see any listed for a 99 XC 600 at Dennis Kirk or Royal Distributing - anyone know if this is something I have to source from Polaris? (of course my Polaris dealer was out of stock and with the holidays I may not be able to get one before the weekend)

·
Registered
786 Posts
You could remove the exaust and air box and remove the four motor mount nuts and pick the motor up some to look see. Or tape a flashlight to your helmet. :flag_usa:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Couldn't find tape strong enough to keep the flashlight stuck to the helmet at anything over 80 mph...

It was the voltage regulator - I managed to find one on a buddy's parts sled. After putting it back together, the dim light problem did go away. Just a note to anyone else reading this post in the future - I also noticed that the female end of the electrical connector for the regulator was not making a great connection, I also replaced this as it caused the lights as well. (of course, I had to change the regulator back again just to confirm that it was screwed in the first place)

I did burn out both bright lights, so once I get 2 new bulbs I should be back in business.

One last question - should the centre halogen bulb light up on both dim & bright settings? It only seems to work on dim but the bulb is fine.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sorry to bump an old thread. I just bought a 99 XC 600 that's doing the same thing. I figured it was probably just a bad ground but after reading this I might pick up a regulator too just be on the safe side. I've also noticed that the light on the speedo works but it doesn't read and the light on the tach doesn't work but the tach does. Hopefully this may fix the problem

1 - 10 of 10 Posts