Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a compesion check on my old ladys sled cold mag side 80 clutch side 145.Took out power valves and front of piston melted rings still there should I just do one side or both.The sled has no speedo bought last year the guy told me it was a backup sled for oval racing its clean.What do you guys think ordering parts monday sled does not get rode hard.THANKS :dunno:

·
Registered
11,320 Posts
145 is decent comp, but if you have to tear it down anyways might as well do both sides then you will know what you got.,Butter clean the carbs also.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Good luck. The 99's were a nightmare !!! If you are off 1 size on the jets it will be a dog. If the temp moves 15 degrees it will change. Hell I think even riding east to west was diff. than north to south. GOOD LUCK !!!!

·
Registered
256 Posts
I would do both sides at the same time. Top end used to cost me around $100/ both sides. About an hour job. BTW, I had great luck with my 99. Loved that thing. Gave me less fits than my '01. If I remember right, jetted at 280, clip 2nd from bottom and timing at -1. (upper midwest riding). Slowed the sled down a little, but still ran great and never touched jetting. Also, best handling sled I've ever ridden to this day!

·
Banned
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hos my bro bought your snowpros mine has 300 mains is that to much and does he have to change jetting. thanks

·
Registered
2013 Turbo
3,818 Posts
My '98 is very similar to the '99's. I run 310 main's with the updates done to the needles/slide valves. I also run BR9EYA's, instead of the BR10's that is factory. I keep the timing set stock too. This set-up is running a bit rich, but seems to run fairly well at temps in the range of 10-30F. I don't like to keep messing around with jetting when I am trail riding, but when I am going out to the lake, I'll make some changes depending on the days temps.

·
Registered
754 Posts
i have a 99 sno pro after the power valve change the sled ran great. later i took the 99 sno pro cylinders off and installed the 97- 440 non power valve cylinders and change the flywheel and stator and carbs the sled is slower on top but i did it to save money on the oil part for the valves .

·
Registered
256 Posts
ZR429 - He should not have to touch either one. The motor in the mod was just put in last fall, but was rode in -20 and just starting to turn the plugs white and didn't seem to get too fat at +20. I hadn't touched jet or plugs in the last 3 trips (after it was dialed( ran great)). The 99 I hadn't changed jet sizes in the last 4 years. You can check with him (my carb settings are written on tape on top of the belt cover), but I'm real sure I had 280's, -1, and 2nd clip from the bottom, also BR9's. You'll be okay with 300's, just might be a little heavy on warm days. What you really need to watch is your midrange. When I first started to dial the 99, I thought it was a little lean in midrange, so I raised my clip. BTW, I rode norhern WI and MI, so climate should be the same.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts