Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 99 600 powder special over heated on me this past weekend. The light came on, so I stopped and felt the heat exchangers, and they were warm but barely, so I kept on driving home after letting the machine sit for a few minutes. Shortly after the light came on again with a cloud of steam. I opened the hood, and the antifreeze resavoir was boiling and was spraying a steady stream from the cap. I towed it home and called the mechanic. he said it was more than likely the thermastat, which makes sense. I called again last nigh, and he said when he went to order it, the shop said that it was probly an 'O' ring in the head that is shot, so that is what he ordered.

Has anyone else had this problem, and was the o-ring the solution. Will this be an expensive fix?

thanks mark

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Cat o-rings are notorious for going flat after the engine has been over heated. If the o-rings are not replaced, you increase your chances of leaking anti-freeze into the cylinders or out the side of the jug. It does sound like a thermostat problem as the exchangers were not hot to the touch. The t-stat stuck closed not allowing the coolant to circulate through the exchangers. Good luck with the repair.

Danno

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I told him to change both, but he only ordered the o-ring. I guess I will have to wait and see.

mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts