Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I'm looking at a sled that has the 99 600 big block motor in it. I know these motors don't compare much to the newer ves motors but is there much you can do to wake them up? As far as a pipe would go once i find one that fits the IQ race chassis thats probably what it will have because they are rather hard to come by. Someone mentioned being able to drop 700VES cylinders on the block with 700 pistons and making a 700VES. Is this possible? I've heard these motors are pretty bullet proof, is this true? Also is there anything that must be done to run these reliably on premix? Any other info on these motors is more than welcome.
Thanks
TJ

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
They are very bulletproof motors. The 800 and some of the 700s had crank bearing issues, but the 600 had very little issues.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its good to hear their reliable. How about the 700VES topend and any premix issues?
THanks
tj

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
yes the 700ves top end will fit, it,ll be as much trouble finding a ves exhaust as a non ves to fit a iq

only issue for premix, no oil pump, youll lose the pto brg oiler

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i know the ves exhaust will be tricky also, but i'd feel better about getting an exhaust made and spending money for a 700VES as opposed to the non ves 600.

Is there anything to do to oil the pto bearing to prevent failure? I really don't want to deal with something breaking down this winter.
Thanks
tj

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
TJ,
If this is going to be a trail sled with pre-mix the first thing I would suggest is: Leave the oil pump on. But... I know how that is, so... SLP does a modification to the top half of the case that eliminates the oil pick-up and opens up the oiler into the bearing for access from the case when using pre-mix. Check out their web-site it explains it better. If this is going to be a race sled, or not run on the trails, then I will suggest a cheaper route. Go to a hardware store and get a "nail tip protector." It is basically a condom type rubber sleve that is designed to go over the tip of nails that protrude out of whatever... Put that on the oil pick-up and a small hose clamp around it. This is air tight, and I have done it several times on my race motors.
As far as the 600, it is a great motor, and they dont get anymore bullet proof. We had one that was a done by HTG as an improver motor raced on grass and asphalt. It was a screamer... For the 700, yes, you can do that. It is the same case/bottom end used up through 2005. You would need different carbs though. The exhaust will be your major problem in the swap, however.
Good luck.

does anyone know about premix in these 99 600's? particularly the pto bearing?
thanks
tj[/b]

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ultra,
I don't think i can leave the oil pump on in this case because it likely won't clear the bulkhead. I could get the slp part that replaces the oil pump to keep the vacuum balance. on the slp website i see something for 2002-2005 700/800 oil injection elimination, i'm guessing this is what your saying. I really don't have time for tearing down a motor and waiting for slp to get it back to me though. Would possibly putting a small oil container with a primer on it going to the inlet for the pto bearing oiler work. (a primer from a doo 440 race sled and maybe the oil bottle from the skidoo also.) Just give it a couple of squirts once in a while.(if this would work how many squirts should be given and how often?) I won't be doing much if anyone long trail rides. More backcountry and some freestyle so there shouldn't be many extended lengths of wfo.

If i do go the 700 route in the future i would just need the rack carbs from a ves 700 right? I'm going to have some figureing to do on a pipe still. Is there anything different on the 800 top end that would keep it from bolting to the 600 case?
Thanks for the info.
tj

·
Registered
44,390 Posts
I had a 99 xc 600sp...one of the best sleds owned once some tuning to the chassis and motor were done...exxtremly bullet proof. I would think if installing a 700 top end its not going to be cheap....going to need a 700 set of carb jets...700 cdi unit...pipe/pipes also.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not sure on the 700 top end yet, its just good to know i have options with this motor. It'll either be dropping the 700VES cylinders on it next year or puttign a 600ves in the sled so i can 660 the 600 ves, but for this winter i just want to go as cheap as i can to be reliable.
Thanks
tj

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
I see now... The motor is going in an IQ chassis, correct? I so, I am not sure about the fitment of the oil pump. I know guys have put 800's and 700 big blocks in there with the oil pumps on. Might want to check. But, you are doing back country and freestyle riding... I would run your pre-mix at 32:1 and put the screw nipple protector on the PTO oiler. I ran my 02 800 motor on the asphalt with no oil pump all year long with 32:1 and 40:1 oil in my gas. It is fine... Now I would not of done that if it was more than a quarter mile at a time, or run for extended periods/ miles at a time. It was a quick pull and then off. I would say that if your doing back-country riding where your not mile after mile running the motor then it will be good. Heck, my last Pro-stock motor (XCR) had the block off for almost all of its life. It was a grass motor that was abused and torqued because of the un-even terrain every weekend and never had a problem.
Do you a "Lowes" hardware store around you? This is where I get the screw tip protectors from...
You could get the Keihin carbs to work for the 700/800 route... But I wouldnt as the Miks are easier to tune, and have the TPS for the newer style VES motors. The 800 is the same as the 700. You would need rods, pistons, cylinders, CDI, carbs. I do believe that someone makes twin pipes for the VES motors to fit in the IQ chassis.
Hope all this mumbo-jumbo helps you.

Ultra,
I don't think i can leave the oil pump on in this case because it likely won't clear the bulkhead. I could get the slp part that replaces the oil pump to keep the vacuum balance. on the slp website i see something for 2002-2005 700/800 oil injection elimination, i'm guessing this is what your saying. I really don't have time for tearing down a motor and waiting for slp to get it back to me though. Would possibly putting a small oil container with a primer on it going to the inlet for the pto bearing oiler work. (a primer from a doo 440 race sled and maybe the oil bottle from the skidoo also.) Just give it a couple of squirts once in a while.(if this would work how many squirts should be given and how often?) I won't be doing much if anyone long trail rides. More backcountry and some freestyle so there shouldn't be many extended lengths of wfo.

If i do go the 700 route in the future i would just need the rack carbs from a ves 700 right? I'm going to have some figureing to do on a pipe still. Is there anything different on the 800 top end that would keep it from bolting to the 600 case?
Thanks for the info.
tj[/b]

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep its for an IQ racer, should make for a fun sled. I'm pretty sure that the guys running oil pumps notch their bulkheads, i'd rather run premix than notch my bulkhead personally soo.... I'll more than likely just get the block off like mentioned. I don't have a lowes handy but i'm sure my hardware store will have something. If i end up with the sled it already has twins, but i might need to get a single for it so the wardens don't hate me. I'm kinda pumped about being able to put the 800 topend on this thing. Would the bottom end of the 600 be fine for the 800VES reliability wise? I didn;t realize i would need rods, but i guess thats not to big of a deal.
Thanks
TJ

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
The VES motor was introduced in 2000 as a small block. Those cylinders wont fit on the large block bottom end. His only options are leave it a 600, or make it a VES 700 or 800 with the big block bottom.

·
Registered
290 Posts
The sled I mentioned above came out in 98. That particular year I worked for my local polaris dealer, I saw a lot of them come through the shop. The jugs will bolt straight on.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
would that particular 98 ves 600 (i didn't know they existed either) be a canditate for a 660 kit? I'm going to look at some microfiches and check some stuff out.
Thanks
TJ

·
Registered
17,180 Posts
The 1998 600 touring 2-up sled had a ves motor. All you need is a set of those cylinders.[/b]
Huh..?! I'm sure you mix up the years here, Only Polaris VES engine I've ever heard of before 2000 was the 440 and XCR7/800.
The 98 600 Touring used the XLT triple mill....

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i just checked some microfiches and saw nothing for ves on tourings in the 98. they did have a twin but no valves.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts