Hardcore Sledder banner

98 ZR600 EFI Problem

4K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  tekguy 
#1 ·
98 ZR600 EFI with 6K miles we picked up last summer, was running pretty good all fall, would start every couple weeks. Now it isnt so good. Sled is now tough to start, stumbles and sounds likes its missing and falling on its face (if that all makes sense) the exhaust note sounds like it sbreaking up, sled will slowly idle down and die when you let it sit, clutching was inconsistant, jerky engagement and was grabbing a lil at idle- general consensus was clutches- so went through both but em back on and sled ran great for 5 miles- (had to retorque the bolts) let her sit 20 minutes and now sled is back to tough start, stumbling, breaking up, stalling, and rarely just cutting out for a 1/10 of a second then coming right back.... Problem is inconsistant, occasionally it will clear right up and run fine and then go right back to crap after a lil while.

Symptons
-tough start 3-4 pulls and you may have to give it a lil throttle to fire up
-stumbling, bogging, breaking up
-wont idle, slowly dies down
-problem is inconsistant, occasionally sled fires right up 1 pull and runs fine for awhile

any help or suggestions appreciated

thanks in advance

See less See more
#7 ·
so tonight I disconnected tss and wrapped ends in electrical tape, sled fired up second hard pull, idle fine for a few, jumped on for a ride-throttle response good -but exhaust note still sounds like it has a lil bit of a 'break-up' in it (hard to hear but its not right).. do a couple miles around house, sled pulling hard lifting ski's off ground - fully warmed up and then ya can feel it starting to get boggy and loosing power.........

so two down (clutches and tss) each time sled is better, but still once warm it goes to shit.... stator? (before I spend 200-300 bucks) anything else?

#10 ·
If it acts up when warm it probably is your stator. If it is not too far gone than maybe venting the flywheel will keep the stator cool enough. (Washers behind recoil and drill holes in stator housing.) 98 zr600efi stator specs are: black to green (low speed) 46 ohms and brown to green (high speed) 450 ohms. +/-20%. If it doesn't work try stator corp. $200 / 2 year warranty. I'm a satisfied customer. Oh yeah, he can send out the day after he recieves it. Sure beats ordering one from dealer at $525. Good luck.

#13 ·
quick question trying to save myself sometime, anyone know the bolt size that will thread into the flywheel? 6mm 8mm?? want to paick up some hard grade 8 ones to use with my puller on the way home if anyone knows off hand, thanks again for the help

#16 ·
Ok I tested my stator cold and hot this morning:

Cold
Charge coil: 396 ohms
Trigger coil: 41 ohms

As you can see those are both within spec, which explains why it runs alright when it hasn't gotten warmed up yet. Here are the hot numbers:

Hot
Charge coil: 590 ohms
Trigger coil: 59 ohms

These are both well outside their respective ranges. It looks like my stator is toast. I got 4200 miles out of it, which seems pretty good from some of the other stories I've read on here. I will most likely send it to Stator Corp.

On a side note, I tested my cylinder compression, and got 120psi in each one. Are these pretty good numbers for a '98 with that many miles?

Rob

#17 ·
test results are in and it dont look good:

Normal/Cold/Hot
low -black to green 46/42/60
high-brown to green 450/OL/OL

appears high is completely fried and low is on its way out; new stator it is
I also think TSS issue maybe present but wont know forsure till I get a new stator. bolt size to put into the flywheel was 6mm X .60mm -seems to thread into flywheel fine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.