Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Missing the washer that fits on shaft between secondary and engine causing secondary to move too much side to side. Went to Browns and they don''''t show a washer. Does anybody know part number and number of washers? How much side movement should there be my other ZR is slight mevement while this one is 1/2" at least.

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
726 Posts
my 01 zr 600 came tight, so when i put a clutch kit in i had to take a washer off the screw that holds the secondary on. but my dads 99 zr 700 has like 1/16" - 1/8" of sideways movement. so unless someone else has anything to say, i might go see if i can eliminate the side-to-side movement.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
It is good to have some movement on the shaft. If the secondary can float a little it allows the clutch to self-align as the engine moves under varying loads. 1/2" sounds like a lot, but 1/8 - 1/4 should be OK. You need to know which way to take free play out. You will probably need shim washers behind the clutch and on the end of the shaft as well to maintain propper alignment. The washers should be available from your dealer for little cost.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
You want some side to side movement so the sec. clutch doesn't freeze up on the shaft! If it does then your problems have just begun. 1/8"-1/4" is just fine.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
the shims are to adjust your offset from your primary clutch. Get an alignment tool and enough shims to get it done right. your dealer should help you with the correct offset and shims needed. also grease the shaft when you remove your secondary> I use anti-seize lub with good results. cant remember the amount of play or float its suppose to have but .060 sounds kinda close. I'll chech in my manuals and get back to ya..........tigger

1 - 5 of 5 Posts