Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 98 zr440 and a 01 zr 440,I have been running the exhaust valves in the 98 in the plugged open postion because they are aluminum and won't last long if ran functioning before they fail. The other day I was putting the top end back together on the 01 and had some 98 jugs sitting out next to the 01 jugs. I noticed the holes for the power valves looked identical so I stuck a set of 01 exhaust valves in a 98 jug,they actually fit perfect. I started playing around with the parts trying to figure out how to run the 01 valves,by machining the top boss in a 98 jug flat about .030 thousandth (where there should be a 3rd bolt but isn't) and drilling and tapping a small third hole the 01 valves can be ran safely. You must use the 01 hold down plate and the 98 cage (the piece that holds the valves together and the return spring rest on). I mocked this up on the 98 sled yesterday,I haven't put the third bolt hole in yet or machined the boss but I bolted in the 01 plate and valves using the 2 bottom bolts and drove it around the yard. This mod will be nice as my 98 is real soft on the bottom with the valves plugged open,after trying it with the 01 valves you immediately could feel the bottom end plus it still pulled to 8800 so I know they are opening. A alternative way to do it would be to use a set of 01 jugs as they have the third bolt hole oem. I spent alot of time and money finding 99 jugs,99 valves and a 99 upgrade valve kit to try on the 98 but have held off on running them as I kept blowing it up and didn't want to melt down a 99 jug (they are rare and hardly ever pop up on E-bay). I will be selling the 99 stuff and probably some 98 valves too. I have (3) 99 jugs with good nicasil,1 full set of new 99 upgrade valves in the package,a set of good 99 valves and I think a full set of good 98 valves. I will look thru what I got and if anyones interested I will be selling the stuff,Smitty

·
Premium Member
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I own a 98 zr440 and a 01 zr 440,I have been running the exhaust valves in the 98 in the plugged open postion because they are aluminum and won't last long if ran functioning before they fail. The other day I was putting the top end back together on the 01 and had some 98 jugs sitting out next to the 01 jugs. I noticed the holes for the power valves looked identical so I stuck a set of 01 exhaust valves in a 98 jug,they actually fit perfect. I started playing around with the parts trying to figure out how to run the 01 valves,by machining the top boss in a 98 jug flat about .030 thousandth (where there should be a 3rd bolt but isn't) and drilling and tapping a small third hole the 01 valves can be ran safely. You must use the 01 hold down plate and the 98 cage (the piece that holds the valves together and the return spring rest on). I mocked this up on the 98 sled yesterday,I haven't put the third bolt hole in yet or machined the boss but I bolted in the 01 plate and valves using the 2 bottom bolts and drove it around the yard. This mod will be nice as my 98 is real soft on the bottom with the valves plugged open,after trying it with the 01 valves you immediately could feel the bottom end plus it still pulled to 8800 so I know they are opening. A alternative way to do it would be to use a set of 01 jugs as they have the third bolt hole oem. I spent alot of time and money finding 99 jugs,99 valves and a 99 upgrade valve kit to try on the 98 but have held off on running them as I kept blowing it up and didn't want to melt down a 99 jug (they are rare and hardly ever pop up on E-bay). I will be selling the 99 stuff and probably some 98 valves too. I have (3) 99 jugs with good nicasil,1 full set of new 99 upgrade valves in the package,a set of good 99 valves and I think a full set of good 98 valves. I will look thru what I got and if anyones interested I will be selling the stuff,Smitty[/b]
I will run a classified ad after I see exactly what I got,Smitty

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
Great post, keep us updated on how the 01 valves hold up in there. Hopefully you found a reliable solution, the 98's were a PITA with the stock valves.

·
Premium Member
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You could also run a 2000-2001 electrical system and make the valves operate electronically!

~Fast[/b]
I also own a 01 zr440 and 01-800/900,the stator is very different and much beefier plus not interchangeable so I didn't figure I could run a 01 cdi box and exhaust servo motor but I'll look into it,Smitty

·
Premium Member
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tested the 98 with the 01 valves,it seems to still pull strong on the top end so I'm pretty sure they are opening. I added 1 extra bolt hole in the head and used a 01 valve hold down plate. I was worried the steel valves might be too heavy and not open from just exhaust pressure.I have always ran the sled with the exhaust valves plugged open,having valves that actually worked gave the sled a stronger bottom end that it never had,Smitty

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
The stator and wiring works off of the 98-99 motor, all you need is the servo motor and the exhaust valve controller along with the wiring harness from either a '00 or '01. It wouldn't be easy or cheap, but it could be done. If they valves work without, then I say great.

·
Premium Member
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My son rode the sled 85 miles today along side me,its screamin the best it has since I got it 3 years ago,the valves are definately opening on the top as he was running 91.8 mph gps flat out on the rail trail at 8800. No problems so far either,Smitty

·
Registered
78 Posts
if you would play with the clutching and get the rpm 9200 and above that 98 will really come alive! my 98 was the fastest 440 i have ever owned dont do a sevro on it keep it with as gas power its better to have a progresive open then to have a snap open i even have taken off the sevo on my F6 and went with the gas power valves and wow what a difference power all the way to WOT
and what ever you do dont put the 01 jugs on your 98 bottom end the port timing is different

1 - 9 of 9 Posts