Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am totally stumped on what to do with my 98 xc. A week ago when i was on a ride i was on my way home and it started a bad bog then it wouldnt really rev past about 6 grand, just sputters and won't. So i thought it seemed like it was freezing up and put it in the shed with the heat on and put some alcohol in for the next ride. It seemed like it helped for a while but as soon as we went for a good ride again it would'nt rev up again and was doing the same thing. I put it back on the trailer and when i tried to start it again it wouldn't start, no spark. I got that fixed as i had ajusted the carb cables and the needle was sitting on the bottom too much and there was some slack in the cable therefore the throttle thing killed it. I thought maybe that is why it wasnt reving up because it wasnt getting a good spark but it still is doing it. I've unplugeg the kill and tried that and even unpluged the block at the motor and still the problem is there. My brother has the same sled and i stole his cdi and tried it and also the carbs and tried them and the reeds look like there fine and i just am stumped. Does anyone have any ideas and know where i can some schematics on the electrical so i can start testing the coil/stator. Any ideas are much appreciated, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
314 Posts
check ignition wiring for chaffing and shorting. From the stator up. Be very precise and slow as you check any areas that may be rubbing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have checked all of the wiring and everything seems to be fine. I really am stumped at what to do. I would like to start testing whats coming off the coils but i do not know what to test for. I have my brothers sled to go off of which is good but i don't know how to do it. I tried an ohm's test from the coils thinking that should work but i got nothing on either sled. Anyone know how to start testing this? Thanks

·
Registered
358 Posts
I am totally stumped on what to do with my 98 xc. A week ago when i was on a ride i was on my way home and it started a bad bog then it wouldnt really rev past about 6 grand, just sputters and won't. So i thought it seemed like it was freezing up and put it in the shed with the heat on and put some alcohol in for the next ride. It seemed like it helped for a while but as soon as we went for a good ride again it would'nt rev up again and was doing the same thing. I put it back on the trailer and when i tried to start it again it wouldn't start, no spark. I got that fixed as i had ajusted the carb cables and the needle was sitting on the bottom too much and there was some slack in the cable therefore the throttle thing killed it. I thought maybe that is why it wasnt reving up because it wasnt getting a good spark but it still is doing it. I've unplugeg the kill and tried that and even unpluged the block at the motor and still the problem is there. My brother has the same sled and i stole his cdi and tried it and also the carbs and tried them and the reeds look like there fine and i just am stumped. Does anyone have any ideas and know where i can some schematics on the electrical so i can start testing the coil/stator. Any ideas are much appreciated, thanks in advance.[/b]
Try your brothers stator.My fathers 98700 did the same thing yours is doing, and we tried unplugging everything as you did. Finally we got another stator off a friends sled and it worked fine, and has been since(1000 or so miles). Hope this works for you!!!

·
Banned
2,584 Posts
stators are known to go on those, also check the reeds for delamination.

Get that thing running. Nothing beat mine this past weekend in Old Forge.

·
Registered
409 Posts
stators are known to go on those, also check the reeds for delamination.

Get that thing running. Nothing beat mine this past weekend in Old Forge.[/b]
x2 on the stator. I had one the would miss an burble a cough and die. Let it sit a while and it would start. Ride it a few minutes and the same thing all over again.

Pull the flywheel and stator. Mine had a very small chaffing of the wire jacket where the harness contacted the case behind the stator. I figure it would warm up a bit, expand a little and ground against the case. Let it cool for awhile and it would contract, move a little and start back up repeating the cycle. Good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts