Hardcore Sledder banner

97 xcr 600 top end rebuild question

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  XCR1250 
#1 ·
Hey. I have a 1997 xcr 600 and the compression on 3 cylinders showed 60-65
So I'm going to rebuild the top end before winter.

To my knowledge it has never been rebuilt. Is this the right kit I need?
Any other tips on rebuilding the top end? I've never tackled this type of project before.

Guess I'm just confused on the .020 and .040
From what I've read the size is 65mm on the triple xcr which would be the .020 right?

Thanks!
1997 polaris xcr 600 engine kit - Google Shopping

#4 ·
The .020 is referring to an oversized piston, if you are boring the cylinders to a larger diameter to repair scratches or damage to the cylinder wall. If you are not doing that and you are staying with stock bore size, the ..020 pistons are not what you want.

#7 ·
It was a new Guage kit. It started up and ran fine didn't sound too bad ran it on idle for about 20 minutes before it burned the rest of the gas.
Was just getting the sled ready for the year for ice fishing and decided to test the compression. 7 pulls and it ended up around 65 on all 3 cylinders.

I read another forum where the guy had 60 psi on all 3 , rebuilt it and still had 60 psi so maybe there is something else causing low compression?

I might just put it back together and run it this season and just find a parts sled or a new used motor for backup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.