Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello gentleman, I purchased a 96 zrt 600 of ebay last spring ,,beautiful sled ,had high hopes for it ,ran and idled nice , got it home started it up and ran it into the garage,parked it till now.Started it twice over summer,love that purr..Everything was fine til I wanted to ride it ,first snow pulled it out of the garage as proud as a new daddy.hit the thottle and it about died,than it grabbed ahold and away we go,,,figured a good carb cleaning would take care of that... So I pulled the carbs,,someone rejetted this down 6 sizes from stock 360 is stock ,it had 300 s in it , I put in 360s,new pilot jets and new needle and seats,,figured we got her now.tookher out and had about the same luck,,ran like shit on the bottom end,and about walk away from ya on the upper end...so back to the garage again..pulled the carbs off one more time,,this time I pulled the reeds off to inspect,,there was a set of performance reeds of some sort in it,stiffer than hell. I had a set of used stock reeds on the shelf,so I put them in,put her back together,tried her again this time when I hit the trottle the skis come off and away we went...for about 50 miles than it started to run spuratic missing and back firing,went about a mile and it straightened out for a while,,it ran good off and on all the way home . getting a little frustrated,,anyone got any suggestions...thanks sorry for getting so long winded. :censored::veryangry:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello gentleman, I purchased a 96 zrt 600 of ebay last spring ,,beautiful sled ,had high hopes for it ,ran and idled nice , got it home started it up and ran it into the garage,parked it till now.Started it twice over summer,love that purr..Everything was fine til I wanted to ride it ,first snow pulled it out of the garage as proud as a new daddy.hit the thottle and it about died,than it grabbed ahold and away we go,,,figured a good carb cleaning would take care of that... So I pulled the carbs,,someone rejetted this down 6 sizes from stock 360 is stock ,it had 300 s in it , I put in 360s,new pilot jets and new needle and seats,,figured we got her now.tookher out and had about the same luck,,ran like shit on the bottom end,and about walk away from ya on the upper end...so back to the garage again..pulled the carbs off one more time,,this time I pulled the reeds off to inspect,,there was a set of performance reeds of some sort in it,stiffer than hell. I had a set of used stock reeds on the shelf,so I put them in,put her back together,tried her again this time when I hit the trottle the skis come off and away we went...for about 50 miles than it started to run spuratic missing and back firing,went about a mile and it straightened out for a while,,it ran good off and on all the way home . getting a little frustrated,,anyone got any suggestions...thanks sorry for getting so long winded. :censored::veryangry:[/b]
well gents, I think I figured the thing out ...A FAULTY IGNITION SWITCH,,,when it starts acting up you wiggle the key and the problem goes away...happy sledding

·
Registered
776 Posts
well gents, I think I figured the thing out ...A FAULTY IGNITION SWITCH,,,when it starts acting up you wiggle the key and the problem goes away...happy sledding[/b]

Had the same problem,I was told when I bought a new switch that there were a bunch of bad switches in 96/97.You maybe a little lean with 300 jets ,you would be safer at 310.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Had the same problem,I was told when I bought a new switch that there were a bunch of bad switches in 96/97.You maybe a little lean with 300 jets ,you would be safer at 310.[/b]
I m experimenting a little here, I bought this thing this past spring, don t know the history on it,it has ceramic pipes on it ,a friend of mine who works on alot of sleds kinda thought maybe someone was grass racing with in or something to have that low of jets in it...I have started back to stock jets(360s) and going by plug color they may be a little rich two cyl. are black and one is a dark brown ,,I m going to go down to 350 and see how it acts,,,these ceamic pipes I haven t had any experiance with them ,,so its all a shot in the dark.I have a 97 zrt 600 stock accross the board and it seems dead in comparison to this 96 so someone must have done a little work inside too...any assistance or insight with any of this will be apprietiated I don t want to burn her down.. THANKS

1 - 4 of 4 Posts