Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was ridding with my buddy about a month ago and as I was riding around 7500-8000 rpms my chain slipped off of the sprockets and fell to the bottom of the chain case(no damage to the chain case or any components inside). I took it to the shop with a brand new chain because the old chain was stretched and had it put on the sled. After I got the sled back I rode it for no more then 5 minutes and as soon as I hit 7500 rpms the chain slipped off again. Is there something I’m missing?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I habe a 1996 zrt also i have never had any problems with the chain but am having a recalling big problem with the thing just dont seen like its running good carb been apart has all new boots low end pops and shits but get it past that it runs like a dream an clues i can ask a buddy on your problem and get back

·
Premium Member
39,128 Posts
I was ridding with my buddy about a month ago and as I was riding around 7500-8000 rpms my chain slipped off of the sprockets and fell to the bottom of the chain case(no damage to the chain case or any components inside). I took it to the shop with a brand new chain because the old chain was stretched and had it put on the sled. After I got the sled back I rode it for no more then 5 minutes and as soon as I hit 7500 rpms the chain slipped off again. Is there something I’m missing?
Chain tensioner good? Installed and tightened correctly?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I am pretty sure your chain case uses the automatic chain tensioner - spring activated. The spring may be sacked or the unit is installed incorrectly, allowing the chain tensioner to back off far enough for the chain to derail. You have been lucky not to have any damage so far, so don't tempt the fates. I had this on a 2002 Pantera 800 and got rid of it and went to a traditional bolt with double lock-off nuts.

·
Premium Member
39,128 Posts
I am pretty sure your chain case uses the automatic chain tensioner - spring activated. The spring may be sacked or the unit is installed incorrectly, allowing the chain tensioner to back off far enough for the chain to derail. You have been lucky not to have any damage so far, so don't tempt the fates. I had this on a 2002 Pantera 800 and got rid of it and went to a traditional bolt with double lock-off nuts.
Correct.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The zrt is a manual tensioner, reverse models like the Pantera had the auto I believe. Its either not tensioned right and jam nut locked or you have a severely killed bearing but you should be able to see that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts