Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get the skid out of my 96 XLT. I have the two rear tunnel bolts removed and one of the front ones removed. I am trying to get the second front one out but the thing just keeps spinning. The piece that it threads into is spinning inside. I have tried to put the other bolt back in to hold the piece from spinning but that isn't helping. Anyone have any suggestions. ( I am using an air ratchet and it is not helping at all. )

It is killing me because I don't see anyway to keep the inside from spinning...

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Put penetrating oil on the "good" side and make it really tight, then remove the difficult side. An impact gun is your best bet, the ratchet will just frustrate you.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I used an electric impact and it came out. Yes put the other side back in and try it with an impact and you should be fine

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Finally got it out...I uesd a heat gun to help warm it a bit and with the impact gun it finally came out. I was afraid to use a torch anywhere near it but the heat gun was less of an issue. The heat seemed to help loosen the lock tight a bit.

Skid is all checked over, greased and ready to go. A few of the bearings on the wheels are close to needing to be replaced but I figure I'll do it this summer when I tear the whole thing apart.

I also think the shocks are spent but they are not rebuildable so I will be looking for a rebuildable set as well to replace this summer.

Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts