Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, sorry for the story but......I've been busy with work and school since the begging of winter and i just recently got a chance to go out to my cottage. I get out there and once all the unloading of vehicles is done and the such i decide i going for a long awaited ride. I turn the key and it starts like a charm, i let it warm up for a few mintues till and go for a boot (like 2 min drive MAX) around my camp to check if everything is working fine and it was. I get back to the rear door of my camp, throw on a helment and get my lil bro and off i went. i got no further then the gate to my drive way and it sounds like it started missing, i lose alot of power and it wants to stall unless i pump the throttle. i quickly turned around and went back, once i got back i check to see if one of the cyclinders was colder then the other and it appear (to the touch) that the right cyclinder wasn't firing, it was a little warm and the left you could barely touch. i pulled the plugs, cleaned them and switch the cyclinders to try and see if maybe its the plugs (had no spares stupidly and town was too far to go) i turned the key and it started fine, but sounded like it was missing but it would stay running (rpms would start to bog down to about a grand and then pick up) not wanting to ruin my sled i didn't run it for long. again pulled the plugs and the suspected "crap" plug was just coated with gas, so i assumed that was the problem. a day and a half later my new plugs arrived out at my cottage and i quickly installed them.....now the bastard won't even start......ok, the story is almost done.....first few times i turned it over it would start enough to disingage the starter but not enough for me to even hear the engine run over the turning start (it died that quick :( ). but now its not even doing that unless i drop gas directly in the cyclinders. the compression is fine, its getting good spark, and its getting gas (not enough?). please help!!! im thinking it might be a carbon build up cause my lil bro went through two tanks of gas two weekends ago a prolly didn't go over 30km.......still young and timmy. ok thats it

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i've being trying to find a free online manual or at least a troubleshooting guide for close to 4 hours now, so if anyone knows where i could find one that would be great, yea im broke and my dad and brothers are still out there trying to fix it and im stuck here working :(

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have a similar problem. I'm drawing a blank although im starting to suspect my coil is shot, thats the next thing I'm testing when i get out to my sled.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
First thing to try on an old battery type EFI is a new battery. The computer is very sensitive to battery condition and even though the battery may test OK the computer may not like it. It sounds like you flooded it so you will also need to get all the excess fuel out of the crankcase. With the plugs out and key off, pull the engine over and let the excess fuel spray out of the plug holes. Make sure the plug caps are good and are well seated on the plug wires. Push ans twist the caps onto the wires. If you get it running and it seems like one side in not firing, switch the plug wires to the opposite cylinders to see if it follows the wire and cap.

·
Registered
123 Posts
First thing to try on an old battery type EFI is a new battery. The computer is very sensitive to battery condition and even though the battery may test OK the computer may not like it. It sounds like you flooded it so you will also need to get all the excess fuel out of the crankcase. With the plugs out and key off, pull the engine over and let the excess fuel spray out of the plug holes. Make sure the plug caps are good and are well seated on the plug wires. Push ans twist the caps onto the wires. If you get it running and it seems like one side in not firing, switch the plug wires to the opposite cylinders to see if it follows the wire and cap.[/b]

Ok, you seem to know a bit about the battery EFI cats. On my sled i can get is started.......... sometimes but it doesn't run like i think it should. It is quite boggy below the clutching RMP (4k). When dropping RMP if you hit 2k fast while it's dropping it will kill the sled. And it also seems that the pto side cylinder is not firing at all, or intermittently seeing as how taht plus is fouled EVERY time i stop and check the plugs.

Sorry for jacking the thread, but i figured it might help both of us out and there is no point making a new thread that will more than likely not catch anyone's attention.

*edit* On further inspection is there any way just to change a plug wire and not the whole coil? my sled is 2 hours out of the city and it's really a paint to go out there figure out what parts i *might* need and go back the next weekend if i can change just the plug wire i'll just take on of them out there with me.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Ok, you seem to know a bit about the battery EFI cats. On my sled i can get is started.......... sometimes but it doesn't run like i think it should. It is quite boggy below the clutching RMP (4k). When dropping RMP if you hit 2k fast while it's dropping it will kill the sled. And it also seems that the pto side cylinder is not firing at all, or intermittently seeing as how taht plus is fouled EVERY time i stop and check the plugs.

Sorry for jacking the thread, but i figured it might help both of us out and there is no point making a new thread that will more than likely not catch anyone's attention.

*edit* On further inspection is there any way just to change a plug wire and not the whole coil? my sled is 2 hours out of the city and it's really a paint to go out there figure out what parts i *might* need and go back the next weekend if i can change just the plug wire i'll just take on of them out there with me.[/b]
Swap the plug wires from side to side and see if the problem follows the wire/cap to the other cylinder.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Swap the plug wires from side to side and see if the problem follows the wire/cap to the other cylinder.[/b]
That was my plan i was just hoping to find out if i could bring a spare wire, in the case it is a wire seeing as it's atleast an 1 hr each way to get parts from my cabin it's really a pain in the ass to fix any thing out there, and there was no room on the trailer to bring it back this week.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i mean it was already a brand new battery in it so, no it didn't help :( lol, haven't tried the plug idea yet tho...my camp is an hour half from here and i have no vehicle so im sol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it appears it was just crud in the lines cause it just started to work last weekend :S....i still trying to push to clean the lines but the rent doesn't think its nessisary. im looking at it as...it wasn't working then sunddenly its working...sumtin still wrong, its just that more still unreliadble, right?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts