Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, first post so I will see where this goes. ultrawillie, are you out there? I have a 96 Ultra Sp(wedge chassis) in very nice condition that has Slp pipes. Last ride of the year I year I hit something a ruined what was a perfect factory track. I did a fair amount of research when it came to replacing it, and it seemed as though, a 1.25 track with 1.325 studs was very obtainable and would work. I bought a 2 ply ripsaw 2 x 1.25 and 144 gold diggers at 1.325. When I installed the track with the factory 3/4 inch tunnel protectors there was heavy paddle interference against the protectors. I removed the factory protectors, and made custom 1/2 protectors( which yield 1/4 inch of protection) from hyfax material and installed them. When I rotate a properly tensioned track by hand, The track bouncing on top makes the paddles lightly touch the protectors at the very front, not aggressively, but it does touch. Has anyone every been down this road that has come up with a solution ?

·
Registered
46,191 Posts
Hey, first post so I will see where this goes. ultrawillie, are you out there? I have a 96 Ultra Sp(wedge chassis) in very nice condition that has Slp pipes. Last ride of the year I year I hit something a ruined what was a perfect factory track. I did a fair amount of research when it came to replacing it, and it seemed as though, a 1.25 track with 1.325 studs was very obtainable and would work. I bought a 2 ply ripsaw 2 x 1.25 and 144 gold diggers at 1.325. When I installed the track with the factory 3/4 inch tunnel protectors there was heavy paddle interference against the protectors. I removed the factory protectors, and made custom 1/2 protectors( which yield 1/4 inch of protection) from hyfax material and installed them. When I rotate a properly tensioned track by hand, The track bouncing on top makes the paddles lightly touch the protectors at the very front, not aggressively, but it does touch. Has anyone every been down this road that has come up with a solution ?
Yeah, you can probably get away with a 1'' track with 1.175'' studs now. The 96 121'' ultra was never designed to run that size track and studs. You'll end up tearing up the front cooler.

·
Registered
46,191 Posts
I don't believe its enough running that large of track lug and stud. Only way to beat it, is to install rear tunnel brackets to lower the rear skid similar to whats done for running in deep snow. Only issue it screws up the sled geometry placing more weight on the skis.
You didn't mention if the track is notched for those protectors either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya, and I really don’t want to play with the geometry. I’ve been down that road and it ruins a good handling sled. I would sooner buy a 1 inch track. The track is not notched.

·
Registered
46,191 Posts
I've found there's enough room where you can put a 1.25'' notched track on the later extra 10 sleds but not on the early ones. I wonder if these guys are installing drop brackets to the tunnel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts