Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, my neighbor is selling the sleds his kids used to use for ice fishing, one is a 95 Puma DLX in just mint condition with 12xx miles on, which I believe to be correct as he has the only owner.

I would LOVE to have this sled as a utility sled for our off grid cabin. Since it's not a high value machine, I'd be able to leave it up there without worries.

Only problem is I really need a 2 up. We're always short of passenger space when the family is up at the cabin and it only makes sense to get a 2 up because that's really what we need.

So the obvious question is can the Puma DLX be converted to a 2 up just by adding the correct seat, backrest, and the passenger's footrests? Or is the DLX a completely different chassis from the Puma 2-up and so basically conversion to a 2 up is impossible?

If it can be converted, can parts also come from a similar vintage Panther? Or does everything have to be Puma specific?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
2021 850 Assault 146, 2019 Pantera 6000, 1975 Jag 340, 1973 Colt S/S 340
118 Posts
A 93-95 Panther would share a large number of parts with a 95 Puma 2-up. The DLX low mileage drivetrain would likely bolt into a 93-95 Panther body (or 95 Puma 2-up body) quickly and easily if you were to find one with a bad engine or cosmetics.

I believe a 2-up seat was available for the short track Jags and Pumas but were an expensive accessory and would be far less popular. The Puma 2-up was not a lot more money than the short track yet came with a longer track, 2-up seat and cargo rack I believe (can't remember if reverse was standard on the Puma 2-up, was standard on Panthers).

That low mileage and condition is hard to resist. I am unsure if a seat jack conversion was available for sleds that vintage but maybe someone here could chime in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A 93-95 Panther would share a large number of parts with a 95 Puma 2-up. The DLX low mileage drivetrain would likely bolt into a 93-95 Panther body (or 95 Puma 2-up body) quickly and easily if you were to find one with a bad engine or cosmetics.

I believe a 2-up seat was available for the short track Jags and Pumas but were an expensive accessory and would be far less popular. The Puma 2-up was not a lot more money than the short track yet came with a longer track, 2-up seat and cargo rack I believe (can't remember if reverse was standard on the Puma 2-up, was standard on Panthers).

That low mileage and condition is hard to resist. I am unsure if a seat jack conversion was available for sleds that vintage but maybe someone here could chime in.
Thanks for the reply. I think I will have to pass on this Puma and hold out for a long track version.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts