Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91 indy 500 sp that news a completely new seat. I am interested in buying a replacement seat, parts sled, pay to have an aftermarket seat made or instructions on how to do it myself. I am open to suggestions. I tried calling dealers and Polaris to buy this seat but it has been discontinued assuming for how old the model is.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have been acquiring the one-piece seat/tank combo from the 94 and later (through the wedge chassis years) to replace the old seats that used the plywood bottoms. I have so far picked them up for nothing and the only costs Ive faced is to have them recovered at a local upholstery shop. If you go this way you'll have to remove some brackets and possibly add a metal tab and drill a hole or two.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been acquiring the one-piece seat/tank combo from the 94 and later (through the wedge chassis years) to replace the old seats that used the plywood bottoms. I have so far picked them up for nothing and the only costs Ive faced is to have them recovered at a local upholstery shop. If you go this way you'll have to remove some brackets and possibly add a metal tab and drill a hole or two.
Thanks for this info. I have been on the lookout for a used one but haven't had any luck. Do you recommend a good place to look?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Check to see if there are any salvage yards in your area or start checking with other snowmobilers in your area to see if they know someone who has one. There are some salvage/used parts places that do on-line sales. I thinks Al's Snowmobile Parts Warehouse (Vermont) has used seats. I'm not sure where you are located but there should be some folks on Facebook or online classifieds that might be a source for you.

·
Registered
418 Posts
If there are any local clubs those folks might be another good source. Also type in used snowmobile parts on the internet and you'll be amazed at how much shows up but shipping might get to be pretty expensive. If you live close to Idaho, I have 1 in my shop.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I have a 91 indy 500 sp that news a completely new seat. I am interested in buying a replacement seat, parts sled, pay to have an aftermarket seat made or instructions on how to do it myself. I am open to suggestions. I tried calling dealers and Polaris to buy this seat but it has been discontinued assuming for how old the model is.
If you're willing to expend the effort to make something, give some consideration to adapting a newer one-piece seat/tank assembly or a 2-piece seat-tank combo from something like a late 90's Wedge XC or early '00 Gen II XC onto it. I put a 2-piece seat-tank combo from a late 90's XCR on a riding buddy's '91 Indy back in the day. In part because his seat was falling apart and also to gain fuel capacity. It wasn't complicated and looked like it belonged on the sled. There were a lot of those late 90's and early 00's sleds built, so lots of parts to be found.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts