Hardcore Sledder banner

900 ACE 4 stroke

10K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  350Mag 
#1 ·
Hi Fourm, hoping you can help.

My 2016 grand touring LE 900 ACE was idleing rough. I noticed it after my first ride of the season (20 min) yesterday (May have been doing it prior but didn’t notice it)

Further points
- rough idle stayed at 1200 rpms
- sound like a very faint ‘spark’ during rough idle (Hood was vibrating)
- I tried a number starts and a couple times it would cough but wouldn’t turn over
- when lifting on jack stand, I engaged the throttle to 2000 rpms and rough idle noise was gone
-new battery was installed 3 months ago along with valve cover replaced under recall ( no rough idle then)
- fuel stabilizer added end of last year
- always ran 91 octane
- during the quick ride I took, the acceleration was fine and no notice performance issues.

Dealer can’t get to it for a while so wondered if there’s thoughts that a novice sled guy can explore?

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
hi jake
it sounds a bit lean at idle
maybe the stabilizer didn't work perfect and the idle jets are a bit plugged/smaller

it should clear up with more idling

just guessing
the quality of gas nowadays is iffy

i hope it clears up with new gas
after a short time

some of those jets are hard to get at to clean:bc:

#17 ·
This is a fuel injected sled, no jets!

Bob

Reactions: BRPGrandTouring
#3 ·
You can add some seafoam to tank and run for a while then let sit once mixture is in system. Start it up again the next day. See if it cleaned anything.

#16 ·
the oil and filter was changed over the summer. Then put on the trailer and stored. It was started every month/month and a half
The worst thing you can do is start it every month, you are going to build moisture and load your plugs. Just put it away, let it set and start it in the fall. You may have a fouled spark plug. Easy way to tell if you do not have a heat gun, is start it up and touch each individual runner on the exhaust manifold, if one is cold, you have a dead hole.

Bob

Reactions: dskofich
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.