Hardcore Sledder banner

521 - 540 of 558 Posts

·
Registered
41,652 Posts
What oil should I run in my 20 year old Polaris? Since ves has been formulated for these new engines, it must not be compatible for old engines anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If no ves, good old poo blue or similar is fine...its a petroleum based.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
If no ves, good old poo blue or similar is fine...its a petroleum based.

It has VES. Now what do I do? Everything is designed for the new engines. If I can’t use non formulated 850 oil in a 850 then I can’t use 850 oil in a non 850. Right?

·
Registered
41,652 Posts
It has VES. Now what do I do? Everything is designed for the new engines. If I can’t use non formulated 850 oil in a 850 then I can’t use 850 oil in a non 850. Right?

Nothing wrong with running the ves oil in those old sleds except the price.

·
Registered
8,861 Posts

·
Registered
8,861 Posts

Works like this,
If it's a 440, buy the oil that costs $4.40 a quart.
If it's a 600, buy the oil that costs $6.00 a quart.
If it's a 850, buy the oil that costs x 2 = $17.00 a quart. :buttrock::laff:

Reactions: SShooterZ

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Yeah, but it stinks bad :m2c:
I’m not sure we can be friends. I may or may not even have a Klotz candle that was given to me as a gift last XMas.

I’ve run in no particular order, Klotz, regular Cat, APV, Mystik Sea & Snow semi-synthetic, Yamalube and my new current favorite based on price alone, Mystik JT-4 full synthetic. On sale and with rebate I’m around $12-$13 a gallon. Thousands and thousands of miles and never left stranded. (Knock on wood)

·
Registered
41,652 Posts
I’m not sure we can be friends. I may or may not even have a Klotz candle that was given to me as a gift last XMas.

I’ve run in no particular order, Klotz, regular Cat, APV, Mystik Sea & Snow semi-synthetic, Yamalube and my new current favorite based on price alone, Mystik JT-4 full synthetic. On sale and with rebate I’m around $12-$13 a gallon. Thousands and thousands of miles and never left stranded. (Knock on wood)
Well you could always try ipone if tired of those others...its got a blueberry perform smell.:lol:

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
Wouldn't Ipone smell like Apple ? :stirthepot::lol::laff:

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Just put upper cylinder lube meant for running methanol with whatever scent you want. There are a bunch of choices. Not to mention, it will be beneficial to the sled, a lot of these sleds will last a bunch longer with some sort of upper cylinder lube in them.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Klotz has been in the ester based synthetic oil business for 60 years. Polaris has been making synthetics for 20 years. Klotz has been making synthetics longer than Mobil. They may actually be one of the firsts ones. I believe amsoil had the first api approved synthetic but klotz had been making oil 10 years prior.

#smellslikeklotz

·
Registered
41,652 Posts
Klotz has been in the ester based synthetic oil business for 60 years. Polaris has been making synthetics for 20 years. Klotz has been making synthetics longer than Mobil. They may actually be one of the firsts ones. I believe amsoil had the first api approved synthetic but klotz had been making oil 10 years prior.

#smellslikeklotz

:shocked: Didn't realize poo has been in the oil making business.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
:shocked: Didn't realize poo has been in the oil making business.

They don’t make it but have it manufactures to their specs. If you want to get technical.

I will admit if I was riding in some stupid cold temps I would use extreme but that’s not something I would do anyways.

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
They don’t make it but have it manufactures to their specs. If you want to get technical.

I will admit if I was riding in some stupid cold temps I would use extreme but that’s not something I would do anyways.

Does Klotz make their own oil, or spec it too? :dunno:As far as I can find out, Klotz supposedly has 11 employees, but again, that's the only info I can muster right now.

·
Registered
41,652 Posts
I think klotz like spectro blend their oils from various additives and stocks. Some of these others guys have it made by divisions owned by shell or texaco.....at least what i've been told by a spectro rep years ago.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Out of curiosity, has anyone ever taken samples from many of the major brands and sent them to someone like Blackstone Labs to have them tested for content? I would love to see the results of such a test.

521 - 540 of 558 Posts