Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 558 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Skidoo Backcountry Xrs 850
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 2019 Indy 850 with 700 miles. Owner is running Amsoil Interceptor oil. What oil is everyone running in the new 850 motor? Thanks!! Art:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2020 Skidoo Backcountry Xrs 850
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You guy's don't have to answer!! I found an old thread that discussed this. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Ves orange top or ves extreme white top. Not debating oil quality but electric pumps are metered for a known consistency of a manufacturers oil. (How thick it is at certain temps is the variable )

·
Premium Member
20 850 Assault
2,886 Posts
Ves orange top or ves extreme white top. Not debating oil quality but electric pumps are metered for a known consistency of a manufacturers oil. (How thick it is at certain temps is the variable )
So you're telling me the electronic oil pump is designed to run only Polaris oil because it is a specific viscosity? I find that hard to believe.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Sort of. I’msayi g they have the metering of the oil pump set to provide X amount of oil at positions and that X amount of oil delivered was derived by using thier oil . A change in the oil could /will change the mount of metered oil. In fact I believe if you run extreme (thin) and the ves you will see an increase in consumption with the extreme.

·
Registered
8,862 Posts
Your manual says VES until -35*F and colder use the Extreme. The Extreme can be used at any temp.

That said,I don't have the new 850 but I am a heavy Mystik oil user. Passes very high oil test standards.And it's pretty cheap ! :)

<------ Pretty good testament right there (you've heard of the famous 05 900 right ? LOL) with original pistons,although pretty sure I'll change them for next year. :)

·
Registered
8,862 Posts
Sort of. I’msayi g they have the metering of the oil pump set to provide X amount of oil at positions and that X amount of oil delivered was derived by using thier oil . A change in the oil could /will change the mount of metered oil. In fact I believe if you run extreme (thin) and the ves you will see an increase in consumption with the extreme.
Correct. :thumbsup:

Oils are tested in centistokes (viscosity) at two different temps- O*C and 100*C, which have little to do with snowmobiles,so hard to compare + the OEM snowmobile oils, as we know, typically tell us nothing,noteven what standards they pass. :wall:

·
Registered
8,862 Posts
Exactly, if it's a positive displacement pump it moves same volume every time regardless of viscosity.
Okay. maybe I shouldn't have assumed what type of pump/system it uses. I will look into the electric oil pump system used more thoroughly for my own knowledge bank. :thumbsup: Feed/supply can still be effected...I'll see.:)

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Exactly, if it's a positive displacement pump it moves same volume every time regardless
If this is so then why is more oil delivered with thinner oil and less with thicker ? At least it appears to work that way. I have t exactly measured it.and with that being said why do they make oil for low pour points if it flows the same. So maybe flows out of pump the same but not into pump the same? I Will Have to wait till nxt year now to actually test the results. I’m no pump expert so there could totally be something I’m missing here but I’m pretty sure it would vary.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well boys mine has had everything under the sun in it when i’m running up north hard and the oil I packed hasbeen used up I feed it what I can get 3500 miles 8/23 engine build date
On another 1000 mile trip starting tomorrow

·
Premium Member
20 850 Assault
2,886 Posts
I would like to know more about the oil pump myself. It is most likely a positive displacement pump, just not sure which. Possibly a solenoid operated piston pump, or a small gear mesh style, not sure. I like the idea of the ECU controlling it, not strictly the throttle lever. I do have my concerns with electronic gizmos however.

1 - 20 of 558 Posts