Hardcore Sledder banner

Is it possible if all is ok with the sled ?

• YES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI all,

Someone on other forum don't stop to say than it's 02 XC 800 was breaking VES Valves every 500 miles... This sled is a dog, this sled is full of problems... I'm owning a 800 XC, and I'm not thinking like him at all...

Someone else experienced this problem ? These engines was not perfect, but with a good tuneup, that valves should last a little longer, no ?

I've 16 000km and I only upgraded this year to the SS Valves... I Was running the oem aluminium valves since day 1 and never had a single problem with it... I cleaned them every 1000-2000 miles... I really don't understand how someone can break them every 500 miles... Is it himself who is the problem ?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
... I really don't understand how someone can break them every 500 miles... Is it himself who is the problem ?
Thanks[/b]
You did very well, others are not so lucky. My son's broke off and fell into the piston at low speed, 5,000 to 5,500 RPM and what a mess...Broke both cylinders off the case, both pistons and the head are shot. SS valves is cheap insurance IMHO. I will try and get a picture of the aftermath.
Randy

·
Registered
17,180 Posts
Hemisport, not all sleds are created equal. Sounds like you got one of the really good ones.

Here's a VES valve from a friends 03 800 Classic touring: Luckily, the pieces went out the exhaust...
[attachment=409084:DSC00021__Large_.JPG]

·
Registered
359 Posts
I've got a 2003 Edge X 800...... My friend had a 2004 XC 800 that kept breaking the valves also.....so he told me to buy the Titanium Valve set......advised me that the stock ones will break.....so i did buy them and have 5100 miles on the motor with not one single problem...... these new valves also don't build up oil as much as the stock ones.....good luck....

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a 05 700 ves with roughly 1500 miles, my cousin had an 04 800 ves and broke his at roughly 1200 miles. It seems to me as is this is only an issue with the 800's. I also know several other friends with 700 ves' with no problems

·
Registered
17,180 Posts
It seems to me as is this is only an issue with the 800's. I also know several other friends with 700 ves' with no problems[/b]
The 700VES has a coolant passage above the exhaust port - which is lacking on the 800VES.... I'm pretty sure this is the main cause of the VES problems on the 800... Nowhere to get rid of the heat

·
Registered
359 Posts
Well you also just read that trouble free miles......5100 right now and still going...

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have wrecked two exhaust valves on my rmk but i think it came from a slight overheating of the engine that melted the exhaust valve and i am switching to the ss valves as i just broke one and have to replace the piston and valve plus gaskets aorund $500 to fix caus the ss exhaust valves cost $200 for both.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts