Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to hear some actual experience and or observations on how the 800 VES is holding up with the stainless and or Ti valve update.

I have seen 1st hand the carnage caused by the original aluminum valves.

I am considering a deal on a new noncurrent 03 800 VES Edge but am leary of the 800 VES issue.

How have the stainless valves held up?
How about the Ti valves?

I understand now that the 800 has less coolant jacket and a completely absent passage over the exhaust port as compared to the 700 which is why the 800VES gets so %#@* hot and why the 700's were pretty much trouble free.
Are the updated stainless/Ti valves solving the problem or are they still runnin too hot?

·
Registered
2021 Polaris VR1 850 137"
1,326 Posts
I put the Ti valves in last year and put on 1332 miles with them. No problems. I also installed a rear tunnel cooler for some added cooling this year. I want my 800 to run as cool as possible for the conditions. We'll see.

:beer:

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
2004 Switchback 800 - a big chunk of 1 side of an exhaust valve busted off and completely fucked 1 side of the cylinder right up. Put both titanium in and holding up good so far. 1400 miles on the titanium ones.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Factory stock 02 XC8X w/Tempaflo. 3500 miles on original aluminum, converted to coated valves to prevent problems (that I wasn't having). Same story on Ti conversion. 5000 miles total, haven't had to do anything but clean them every 500 miles.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi terez ,I replaced my aluminum valves after 1 season with the stainless steel valves. The aluminum valves melted at the tips and the stainless are in great shape. A word of warning about the 03 800's, some not all are real dogs on performance. Polaris offerd a recall on a cdi remap update which didn't solve the problem. Mine was one that had no midrange power and could not reach peak rpm. Hot seat has a cdi reprogram they do which restores midrange power and top rpm. Also the 800's clutching is terrible , any aftermarket clutch kit is a improvement. Just my 2 cents good luck.
sonic

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Pulled my stock valves out at 2900 miles , set em side by side with TI and could see the sag, I was prob 200 miles away from having them fall into pistons. After changing sled went faster then ever before and even in 35 degree slush, but faster then ever before was still too slow for an 800 ( bout 97 ), The damn is still running too hot has an m10 so already has secondary cooler in tunnel, the heat smoked my starter,

ANyone have any other ideas on making them run cooler , possibly fusion radiator?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Pulled my stock valves out at 900 miles and installed the titanium valve. I now have 4200 and not a problem. I have cleaned them every 1000 miles and they look pretty good. Unfortunately, a friend on a 2002 didn't do the same and had a valve drop into one of his cylinders and it cost him 1200 bucks. Polaris didn't cover it either and that was at 2300 miles.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have allum. Replaced the factory ones first year 1200 miles. Have 500 on these NO problems.

·
Registered
17,234 Posts
on my 02, 3500 miles on the original valves (1000 of them with SLP single), replaced them just in time with coated 03-spec valves. Went thru 2 sets of those in less than 1000 miles, took out pto cyl. and piston in the process.
Now running Ti valves, 2000 miles no probs. Also using exhaust springs from the 700 (green/yellow) to let the valves open a little sooner in the critical midrange area.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts