Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after riding A/C for since 1990 I'm going to buy a non- current 2019 or 2020 XC or Pro-s. Generally I'm a 600 guy but they are hard to find in the show rooms, but there are alot of 800's. So my question is how are the 800's for run quality, dependability, fuel/oil usage.

·
Registered
147 Posts
FYI Polaris has an online inventory search (link below) that shows all the dealer stock in your area, might be able to find a 600 still if you really want one. I'll let someone else chime in on the current 800 H.O. since I've never owned one.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
800 is a great motor, fuel mileage is fine, oil usage is acceptable and mine have been very reliable. A little more vibration than the 850, but if you don’t switch back and forth you probably won’t notice it. Fuel and oil usage in normal riding is going to be better than the 600 so my opinion has always been go bigger and if you want it it’s there and if you don’t, don’t use it. Word of caution though, once you do go big it is hard to go back.

·
Premium Member
6,116 Posts
I've had (4) 800's since 2015 with total miles over 13,000 between them with no issues. Friend of mine had over 16,000 on his 2016 without it ever being opened up. My wife always had 600's and my 800's were always better on gas and oil when we rode together. I always wanted to buy a 800 for my wife or pass my old sled down to her but she always wanted a 600 so that's what she always rode. Last year I sold her sled mid season and we had one long weekend ride still planned. We took an 800 demo Pro-S and put 600 panels on. She drove it all weekend without any comments about the sled as it was the same as her old sled just an 800. I finally asked about the sled her comment was "it rode the same as her old sled but seemed faster".

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I just sold my '15, had almost 9700 miles on it. It was consistently in the14-16mpg (US) range for fuel economy. Oil usage has been in the 125-150 miles/quart range. You'll easily do 300+ miles without adding oil. For run quality, there is a little vibration at/near idle, but that goes away as the RPM increases. The powerband is smooth and controllable, but the engine does respond to throttle very readily. Now, the stuff to watch for if you buy one: If you ride in "questionable" snow conditions, make sure the engine temps don't run 150 degrees F or more for long periods of time. If you see engine temps at or above that level, don't run the sled hard until it cools down. That isn't to say you need to panic if you run into 3 miles of road with minimal snow on it, a long stretch of logging or have to grind your way through town somewhere, but it isn't advisable to try racing your buddies down the lake if your temp guage reads 165 degrees. The ECM does a good job protecting the engine, but if the engine is running hot, there is less margin for error if something else goes wrong. Next, unless you have a multi-year warranty and don't want to touch anything, a good preventative measure is replacing pistons in the 5K-6K miles range. That is the most common issue with the 800s. Many 800s will go well beyond that mileage without issues, but that range seems to be about where a few issues tend to pop up. While the engine is apart, many choose to replace their fuel injectors or have them cleaned and the fuel pickup "sock" in the tank should be replace by then (if not before). I did the piston replacement, injector replacement and the pickup sock all at the same time right at 6K miles with my 800. FWIW, I just picked up a new '20 800 carry-over, based on the good experience with the last one. Wish my 850 was as trouble-free....

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
The 800s for those years are awesome. Just had a customers 15 pro s 800 come in with over 10,000 miles and just now needs a top end to be freshened up.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I've had a very different experience with 800s. A 15 prox and a 17 sba and both went down early. 3000 miles and 2000 miles. In reading other posts I believe it is that I run consistently faster than others because I average 10-11 mpg and will never go 300 miles on a tank of oil. 250 maybe?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts