Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 XRS 800 ETEC, sometimes the starter spins but will not engage. The starter does spin. I have been able to get it to engage by hitting the starter with something. I have also sprayed WD40 on gear and spring this seemed to work for a while. Has anyone had this same problem ? Has anyone changed the starter in one of these ? how big of a job is it to remove and re install ?

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Removing and installing the starter is easy. Remove muffler, remove pipe, disconnect battery terminals, and it's two bolts on the front of the motor and one on the other side. Easiest way is a few extensions, etc. and do it from the front of the sled with the hood removed.

You can buy a replacement bendix assembly and replace.

Your other issue might be the battery is low or the starter is going back so it's not spinning fast enough.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Battery is fine, going to change the starter....thx for replies
How did you test battery? Have you tried with a known, good battery? Voltage from a battery can be deceiving, its what it does under load that counts. Make sure all connections, grounds are solid. With that said, I have had starter motors fail...at 5k miles.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Yep, I had a battery with a dead short, would test fine at 13 volts one of the cells was shorted so the millisecond you asked for amps it was dead as a doornail. Crazy issue to diagnose when the battery tests perfect.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The starter works most of the time, than all of a sudden doesn't and always when warm. After turning the starter gear a bit a spraying with a bit of WD40 it will start and than be fine for another 20-30 starts. I could try another battery I guess it could be easier for it to spin when its freed up a bit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts