Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find out if I convert an 03 zr 800 efi to a 900 efi can I use the ecu from the 800 or do I have to go boondocker?
Thanks for anyones help In advance.

·
Premium Member
12,762 Posts
I know someone that tried...............sled was fast as hell, well for about 2 miles than melted down.
Boondocker may work but using a properly clibrated ECU is the way to go.

·
Registered
20,650 Posts
it would be way cheaper for you to send your ECU back to cat and have the 900 program put in it than it would be to buy a boondocker.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Cat wont do it, been there done that. To do it right get your hands on a 900 ECU and wiring harness. Good luck!! Try RV sports, I scored my set up threw them.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Arctic Cat can't (or won't) reprogram the 800 ecu's I tried to get them to do it when I converted my '03 800 to a 900. I have one of D&D's pac kits to turn up the fuel pressure then lean the top end down with the restrictor or for that matter
I have a spare '04 900 ecu and a harness modified to put the ecu in the top of the airbox like they are on the '03 800 instead of on the side of the smaller airbox on the '04 900. PM if interested.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This sled is EFI and I talked to both D&D and simons cpr and they said it should not be a problem .
They also said unhook the ethynol wire and it makes it 3% richer

·
Registered
90 Posts
Don't risk it!! Get the 900ecu and harness, you will also need the 900 power valve cables to do it right. The issue is timing with the ecu's. Look for a guy on here named Johny Welch, he has posted some great info on this very swap. He's also a great guy to deal with and would be glad to answer any questions you have.

·
Registered
942 Posts
i will assume the timing curve is Ok but the fueling is way different. i remember on the RXL one could bump up fuel pressure to enrichen globally. with a WOT plug check one could calibrate 3/4 to open throttle. that is the easy part. the bottom 1/2 of throttle position is way more difficult. keep in mid EFI is developed by factory after 100's of hours on dyno and also in field. my experience is limited to speed density automotive systems. one can tune a car with a laptop and multiple datalogs. impractical with a sled. carb is the way to go.

·
Registered
377 Posts
First, let me say I have no experience with calibrating EFI. If I was in your situation I would just get the 900 ECU. Why go to all that trouble with your motor only to possibly melt it in 2 miles?

·
Registered
90 Posts
blzr800efi has the ecu and harness your looking for!! You should jump on that, there not easy to find and you don't want to know what that ecu costs new :eek:oh4:

Do it right, and you won't be stressing when your in the middle of no where on that sled!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts