Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Super Advanced Lummox
17,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been too busy making the sled good aka custom decals,skidplate,new windshield etc

I should be paying attention to the parts that really need to be changed

Well I knew I had to change the carb flanges as they are cracked

But I never ever thought of looking at the carb boot between the carb and air box

:Wow1: It is in bad shape and to top it off it cost :augen41: $80 to replace

Where the hell does Cat get their rubber made :dunno: china????

and for the carb flanges $50 I am going Kimpex $20 aka can't be worse then Cats rubber

the sled is a 2001 the rubber should be almost new :banghead: ,the rubber on all my Indys,Doos and Yamahas never cracked like this

I knew it was a problem on late 90s Cats but still never thought a 5 yr old sled rubber would be so deteriated(sp?) :smashpc: :frech32:

I don't want to spend $80 for a carb boot,when I could find a whole airbox for less

Sorry just a little peeved to spend nearly $200 on rubber parts for the carb area

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
watch out for kimpex. everything i tried that they made sucked. have you ever had a throttle cable fly into pieces on the trail at night?

·
Super Advanced Lummox
17,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been sledding for over 20yrs

And I trust Kimpex quality

I have gotten 3 tracks that where from Kimpex and they lasted longer then the OEMs tracks

So I am not affraid of there stuff

I still can't beleive less then 5yrs for Cat rubber parts,that is sad IMO

·
Banned
10,423 Posts
Originally posted by FreezerBurnt@Sep 21 2005, 01:21 AM
I am going Kimpex $20 aka can't be worse then Cats rubber

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=884854
[/quote]
wanna' bet?? only if factory boots aren't available would i risk kimpex boots as their boots(kimpex) have less rigid metal and too much(thick/easy to ''smush"/cause poor sealing/air leaks)rubber in critical points, go ahead and get the kimpex boots, better order pistons also, you'll need them,,been there done that over yrs servicing sleds o.e.m. parts not available for, seen air boot surface ''smoosh/warping'' too many times for me to feel safe with them IMO,,,,,,,

·
Super Advanced Lummox
17,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by C-NOTEPLUSf503@Sep 21 2005, 12:47 AM
wanna' bet??  only if factory boots aren't available would i risk kimpex boots as their boots(kimpex) have less rigid metal and too much(thick/easy to ''smush"/cause poor sealing/air leaks)rubber in critical points, go ahead and get the kimpex boots, better order pistons also, you'll need them,,been there done that over yrs servicing sleds o.e.m. parts not available for, seen air boot surface ''smoosh/warping'' too many times for me to feel safe with them IMO,,,,,,,
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=884873
[/quote]

I am getting kimpex carb flanges aka between carb and reeds

The carb boot I am getting Cat parts aka between carb and airbox as I am sure its a dealer only part

just trying to clarify :div20:

·
Banned
10,423 Posts
Originally posted by FreezerBurnt@Sep 21 2005, 02:22 AM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=884879
[/quote]
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ i knew what you meant before last post,, the ones above(between carbs and reeds) are the ones i meant as being risky, just clarifying for you,,,,, :cn:

·
Registered
912 Posts
They make carb boots after market. I bought one carb boot from spi on my old triple and two polaris boots. the spi boot actually melted for no apperent reason. It got mushy and formed a hole in less than two weeks. the polaris boots were fine and so was the one I ended up replacing the spi with. The worse part was they would not stand behind there product that was only two weeks old. P.S. the only reason I bought the spi was because they only had two polaris brand in stack at the time.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Originally posted by FreezerBurnt@Sep 21 2005, 01:22 AM

The carb boot I am getting Cat parts aka between carb and airbox as I am sure its a dealer only part

[/quote]
You may want to check into that kimpex boot further. I looked at them a couple of years ago and the aftermarket boot didn't have the stuffers for the stock reed cages...

·
Registered
696 Posts
This goes back to the storing the sled outside. I really believe this. I picked up my '99 last year, same thing, Airbox boot rotting. Bought it from a friend of mine and it stayed outside plenty. Yeah my boot was $50. :banghead:

·
Registered
861 Posts
Alot of people like to spray everything under the hood with WD40, this is not good for the Rubber parts, drys them out and they rot.

Go salvage or e-bay, there are many of these model sleds being parted out every day.

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
Originally posted by catspaz8@Sep 21 2005, 12:21 PM
Alot of people like to spray everything under the hood with WD40, this is not good for the Rubber parts, drys them out and they rot.

Go salvage or e-bay, there are many of these model sleds being parted out every day.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=885277
[/quote]

That is correct, WD40 is a no-no!!! :doh:

·
Super Advanced Lummox
17,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by GARAGE DWELLER@Sep 21 2005, 11:17 AM
This goes back to the storing the sled outside.  I really believe this.  I picked up my '99 last year,  same thing, Airbox boot rotting.  Bought it from a friend of mine and it stayed outside plenty.  Yeah my boot was $50.  :banghead:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=885271
[/quote]

The guy I bought the sled from stored it in his pole barn :cn:

+ I have always stored my sleds outside covered of course

IMO this is just poor quality parts that Cat uses :frech32:

Been sledding for over 20yrs and never had this happen to any of my Yamahas/Polaris or Doos

Oh ya what a pain in the ass to remove the airbox :frech32:

BTW I am guessing here but an airbox from a ZR800 or 900 carb would be the same as the ZR600 carb also had 40mm flatslides :dunno:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Originally posted by FreezerBurnt@Sep 21 2005, 01:22 AM

[/quote]

I had to replace my boots 2 years ago. Every person I talked to about it said stay away from aftermark places when buying boots. Granted my boots were shaved and this is why mine ripped and yes I found out the hard way at about 95. I usually don't reply to posts like this, but the only reason I am is because I talked to about 12 - 15 people and they all said the same thing about sticking with OEM for boots. Just my 2cents

·
Registered
951 Posts
Originally posted by FreezerBurnt@Sep 21 2005, 02:04 PM
The guy I bought the sled from stored it in his pole barn :cn:

+ I have always stored my sleds outside covered of course
Hence the accelerated drying and cracking.

IMO this is just poor quality parts that Cat uses :frech32:[/b]
They come from Mikuni, same as the other sled makers.

Been sledding for over 20yrs and never had this happen to any of my Yamahas/Polaris or Doos[/b]
I have, loosen the clamp and any Mikuni flange on a Poo/skud and you'll find cracking, been there/done that.
Oh ya what a pain in the ass to remove the airbox :frech32:[/b]
Granted it could be easier but still should only take 10 minutes after doing it one time.

BTW I am guessing here but an airbox from a ZR800 or 900 carb would be the same as the ZR600 carb also had 40mm flatslides :dunno:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=885493
[/b][/quote]

I wish you luck, as was mentioned earlier if you insist on using Kimpex consider ordering up some pistons and have a box labelled and ready to go to Millenium.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I had to replace mine on my 99 cat this summer when i picked it up, That and many other little parts....i guess i should have had a closer look,next machine i buy will be gone over alot better.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts