Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Polaris Indy Matryx 850 VR1 137
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Looking for some input on towing this massive trailer I got a deal and a half on with my 1/2 ton 2017 F150. 2.7 Ecoboost, extended cab and truck currently has a Fox 2.0 leveling kit. Truck sagged quite a bit when pulling it home (empty).... I'm thinking I will need to take the leveling kit out to regain the factory "rake"...

Also was curious as to if other 1/2 ton trucks in this group are pulling similar trailer sizes and if they are using a weight distribution hitch or airbags, etc.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

(Pics
of my truck and trailer)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi All,

Looking for some input on towing this massive trailer I got a deal and a half on with my 1/2 ton 2017 F150. 2.7 Ecoboost, extended cab and truck currently has a Fox 2.0 leveling kit. Truck sagged quite a bit when pulling it home (empty).... I'm thinking I will need to take the leveling kit out to regain the factory "rake"...

Also was curious as to if other 1/2 ton trucks in this group are pulling similar trailer sizes and if they are using a weight distribution hitch or airbags, etc.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

(Pics View attachment 2120511 View attachment 2120512 of my truck and trailer)
Well what is the total weight and tongue weight? Maybe need load levelling hitch. I pull a camper that's around 5,000lbs, 550lbs tongue with my f150, no issues. 3.55 gear, 5.0 coyote

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well what is the total weight and tongue weight? Maybe need load levelling hitch. I pull a camper that's around 5,000lbs, 550lbs tongue with my f150, no issues. 3.55 gear, 5.0 coyote

Trailer weight empty is 2200 lbs. I would guess loaded up total weight being pulled would be close to 5000 lbs with gear and 4 snowmobiles.

·
Registered
22 Posts
No problem then. Might need a weight distribution hitch if there's too much tongue weight. Definitely helps with tail wagging on windy days.
Isn't the 2.7 rated at 9000 lbs?
I assume electric brakes on the trailer.
Go through everything this summer, brakes wiring, wheel bearings, hinges, spare tire etc. You'll have a great setup for the new season.
Looks great!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No problem then. Might need a weight distribution hitch if there's too much tongue weight. Definitely helps with tail wagging on windy days.
Isn't the 2.7 rated at 9000 lbs?
I assume electric brakes on the trailer.
Go through everything this summer, brakes wiring, wheel bearings, hinges, spare tire etc. You'll have a great setup for the new season.
Looks great!

Thanks!! Yes truck can tow around 7500 pounds... so this shouldn't be an issue. Yes electric brakes on trailer (they need to be looked at) as some aren't functioning properly.... but yeah that was the plan. Not like I have to tow them far... maybe 2.5 hours at MOST in the winter from the cabin to the UP somewhere.. hopefully we can figure out the right way to distribute the load in the trailer.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Thanks!! Yes truck can tow around 7500 pounds... so this shouldn't be an issue. Yes electric brakes on trailer (they need to be looked at) as some aren't functioning properly.... but yeah that was the plan. Not like I have to tow them far... maybe 2.5 hours at MOST in the winter from the cabin to the UP somewhere.. hopefully we can figure out the right way to distribute the load in the trailer.
the correct and only right option is air-bags....

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
get yourself a weight safe Hitch, it has a built in scale to tell you what the tongue weight is and allows you to adjust to have a level trailer
after that, maybe try stopping in a GOOD RV center and talk to them about GOOD air bags, and I would make sure you stet up in some GOOD high load rated tires!

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'm not sure how you would put a WD hitch on that skinny tongue. I would do air bags and LT rated snow tires on the truck. Good luck! That does look like a huge trailer!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Loading the sleds backwards will help with young weight if too high.

Easier to unload also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm not sure how you would put a WD hitch on that skinny tongue. I would do air bags and LT rated snow tires on the truck. Good luck! That does look like a huge trailer!
I never even looked at the pictures.
Good points and good advice.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have the same trailer but tow with a 3/4 ton. I always load the sleds front to back and tongue weight is not a problem. The biggest problem you will find is wind. That is alot of surface to be blown around. As others have suggested a good set of tires will help this dramatically. Most likely your brakes are shot from the salt just buy new brake sets and install. Depending on how often you use the trailer will determine the brake jobs. I've had to do mine after 4 years.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have the same trailer but tow with a 3/4 ton. I always load the sleds front to back and tongue weight is not a problem. The biggest problem you will find is wind. That is alot of surface to be blown around. As others have suggested a good set of tires will help this dramatically. Most likely your brakes are shot from the salt just buy new brake sets and install. Depending on how often you use the trailer will determine the brake jobs. I've had to do mine after 4 years.
Yep, shoes were stuck wide open. I'm replacing everything and starting fresh.

·
Premium Member
20 850 Assault and 21 Indy XC 650 137
3,333 Posts

This my setup. 1500 Sierra with airlift bags. 7x27 stealth. This picture is loaded with 4 sleds and all the gear, oil, spare tire, two up seats, etc. I run 30 lbs of air in the bags. Pulls awesome, no sway. I can run 75 mph no problem. Highly recommend the bags.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
View attachment 2121233
This my setup. 1500 Sierra with airlift bags. 7x27 stealth. This picture is loaded with 4 sleds and all the gear, oil, spare tire, two up seats, etc. I run 30 lbs of air in the bags. Pulls awesome, no sway. I can run 75 mph no problem. Highly recommend the bags.
Awesome setup! Sharp looking setup. I was looking at the firestone bags, what bags are you running? Also, is your truck leveled, or are you stock ride height?

·
Premium Member
20 850 Assault and 21 Indy XC 650 137
3,333 Posts
Awesome setup! Sharp looking setup. I was looking at the firestone bags, what bags are you running? Also, is your truck leveled, or are you stock ride height?
I can't remember what bag kit I bought. It was Airlift helper bag that mounts between frame and leaf. I'm lifted 2" front and rear. Running P275/60 20" Michellens at 40psi. Fully loaded I'm probably 5000 lbs trailer weight. No need for LT tires.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can't remember what bag kit I bought. It was Airlift helper bag that mounts between frame and leaf. I'm lifted 2" front and rear. Running P275/60 20" Michellens at 40psi. Fully loaded I'm probably 5000 lbs trailer weight. No need for LT tires.
Very similar. I'm lifted 2 inches in the front on Fox shocks all the way around. Loaded trailer is roughly 5000 with 4 snowmobiles and gear. Thanks for the input on the airbags, I'm planning on going this route. Hows your ride quality when not towing with the bags?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Very similar. I'm lifted 2 inches in the front on Fox shocks all the way around. Loaded trailer is roughly 5000 with 4 snowmobiles and gear. Thanks for the input on the airbags, I'm planning on going this route. Hows your ride quality when not towing with the bags?
if your lifted and running taller than stock tires, you will 100% benefit from having LT tires on your truck
the higher you LIFT a truck the more air effects it in cross winds and the LT tires will hold up better allowing for a safer and better handling tow vehicle! there worth the costs!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
if your lifted and running taller than stock tires, you will 100% benefit from having LT tires on your truck
the higher you LIFT a truck the more air effects it in cross winds and the LT tires will hold up better allowing for a safer and better handling tow vehicle! there worth the costs!
I am still running stock tire size as of now with the 2' level. Tires are General Grabber ATXs so definitely will supply plenty of traction in the snow.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I am still running stock tire size as of now with the 2' level. Tires are General Grabber ATXs so definitely will supply plenty of traction in the snow.
its NOT about traction , its about the stiffness of the side wall?
that's what makes a LT tire different than a lower rated tire
it helps support things in cross winds
its NOT a bash or a debate
its a FACT!
it thus makes for safer towing allowing more control over the truck and trailer

again NO bash here, just offering some info on a easy upgrade!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
its NOT about traction , its about the stiffness of the side wall?
that's what makes a LT tire different than a lower rated tire
it helps support things in cross winds
its NOT a bash or a debate
its a FACT!
it thus makes for safer towing allowing more control over the truck and trailer

again NO bash here, just offering some info on a easy upgrade!
I forgot to mention in the last comment these are LT tires. My bad!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts