Hardcore Sledder banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
6,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
No. Having used the 4.3" PIDD, One of the faults of that was that the GPS map was too small to be seen, especially when changing focus from distant to near. The better solution is to allow selection of some vehicle indicators to overlay part of the GPS map screen. like MPH does now. Another solution is to auto cycle thru some of those metrics in a cycle such as MPH, RPM, coolant temp, then back to MPH. Could be a combination of both.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've tried but mostly failed, to use ride command, group rides, track my ride, plan a route, waypoints, etc. All efforts were frustrating and unsatisfactory. The 7s map is nice. Is there a tutorial for Dummies?

·
Registered
91 Posts
The biggest problem with the 7S display is the lack of WIFI internet connection. The device uses Bluetooth tethering to "communicate" with the update server, ride command server and it's just a clunky mess. I would bet most riders simply never obtained proper internet connections, which would allow them to have unlimited tracking of their friends using a 7S.

Low and behold.....Polaris has a fix coming:

https://www.hardcoresledder.com/uploads/monthly_2021_04/20636030_7S4.jpg.7c42dee0b6d38a9b3fe7faa9aac4a75c.jpg

This will be available on all 2021 and 2022 devices as an update. Sled season is quickly approaching and we still haven't heard much yet and the update is still not out. But -- this fixes and adds new functionality.

·
Premium Member
6,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
The biggest problem with the 7S display is the lack of WIFI internet connection. The device uses Bluetooth tethering to "communicate" with the update server, ride command server and it's just a clunky mess. I would bet most riders simply never obtained proper internet connections, which would allow them to have unlimited tracking of their friends using a 7S.

Low and behold.....Polaris has a fix coming:

This will be available on all 2021 and 2022 devices as an update. Sled season is quickly approaching and we still haven't heard much yet and the update is still not out. But -- this fixes and adds new functionality.
1. Wifi connectivity will be helpful for communicating with the Ride Command Website Server, When you are stationary, have a Wifi connection and want to send rides or waypoints up to the RideCommand cloud, or bring them down to your gauge.

2. Wifi connectivity will also be a choice to download trail map information, Satellite view background (with MY22 software), and newer versions of software, ONCE the MY22 version of software has been installed. For gauges with MY21 software this can only be done by using a USB flash drive, that had the files put on it, by a computer that was on the internet.

EDITED Oct. 15, 2021 (been operating a MY22 7SDD for a few hours this afternoon).
3. Wifi cannot be used for group ride sharing. It will not work using the phone as a Wifi hotspot. You can use Wifi to upload/download Rides and Waypoints to/from the RideCommand website.

4. The MY22 software IS NOT YET available for updating the MY21 gauges. Sometime in November 2021 is the word from Polaris.

·
Registered
2021 SB Assault 850
1,042 Posts
We never had issues seeing each other on the map. Showed direction and distance in real time. As long as we set up the group ride anyway. Had to make sure we were all tied in as we launched out.

·
Premium Member
6,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
We never had issues seeing each other on the map. Showed direction and distance in real time. As long as we set up the group ride anyway. Had to make sure we were all tied in as we launched out.
That is good to hear. Those who were doing a group ride, with all 7SDD displays in the group and not too far apart, seemed to have good success. They were using the V2V (Vehicle to Vehicle) feature, which provides builtin radio communications.

Most that had difficulty in establishing a group ride, were trying to connect the 7SDD thru a cell phone to the RideCommand cloud, so that they could see others, who were using the RideCommand app on their smartphone,

·
Registered
2021 SB Assault 850
1,042 Posts
That is good to hear. Those who were doing a group ride, with all 7SDD displays in the group and not too far apart, seemed to have good success. They were using the V2V (Vehicle to Vehicle) feature, which provides builtin radio communications.

Most that had difficulty in establishing a group ride, were trying to connect the 7SDD thru a cell phone to the RideCommand cloud, so that they could see others, who were using the RideCommand app on their smartphone,
That makes sense, we had 3 in our crew with 7S but we connected right on the screen with password. We could also see other groups in the area, kinda cool. We agreed early on for the same password every time so there is never a question.

·
Registered
2021 Polaris VR1 650
244 Posts
Excursion, I am going to update my 7s in the next couple of days. It says on Ride Command to update the Base Map if you have noticed road construction or changing of routes (which I have not). Do you recommend updating the base map regardless?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
Excursion, I am going to update my 7s in the next couple of days. It says on Ride Command to update the Base Map if you have noticed road construction or changing of routes (which I have not). Do you recommend updating the base map regardless?

Thanks
NO, I do not recommend updating the 7SDD Base Map. I download it approximately once a month, and it has not changed yet. It is HUGE: 33.7GB. I expect it might change, when they issue the MY22 software.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts