Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 97' SKS 700 that keeps overheating after about 5 to 10 min of riding. It's been in the snow and I can feel the heat exchanger getting warm in the back. I brought it in to get the cooling system bled. brought it back home. Got hot again. I've come up with a few solutions but looking for more.

#1. Longer Snow flap
#2. Bleed it myself,for some reason the shop didn't do it right?
#3. Head gasket?
#4. cap is bad
#5. bottle is bad
#6. nose cone cooler(can i put one on?)

Been bringing it to the shop because the lack of time. Now I have some time off and I'm sick of paying for the labor. I can rebuild an Audi so a sled should be as easy. Just looking for a few more suggestions.

·
Registered
143 Posts
You're on the right track. Do you have snow/water on the exchagers? What kind of snow are you riding in? I'm going to assume that you're in good snow. The first thing I'd do is pressure check the cap and bottle - they're known to fail. The caps get weak and the bottles deform not allowing the system to pressurize. If they are both good I'd re-bleed the system. Don't assume the dealer did it right - I've seen them do it wrong many times. It isn't the most common but the thermostats do fail, might not be a bad idea to check that out as well. You will need to rebleed the coolant after you do this. A head gasket is unlikely but possbile. Is it consuming coolant? If you're not eating anti-freeze that'd be one of my last concerns.

I don't know if a noise cooler would be the easiest. I'm not sure what you've got for heat exchangers out back but they do make aux coolers for most polaris sleds. Also looking into a set of ice scratchers to throw some more coolant.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I've got a 97' SKS 700 that keeps overheating after about 5 to 10 min of riding. It's been in the snow and I can feel the heat exchanger getting warm in the back. I brought it in to get the cooling system bled. brought it back home. Got hot again. I've come up with a few solutions but looking for more.

#1. Longer Snow flap
#2. Bleed it myself,for some reason the shop didn't do it right?
#3. Head gasket?
#4. cap is bad
#5. bottle is bad
#6. nose cone cooler(can i put one on?)

Been bringing it to the shop because the lack of time. Now I have some time off and I'm sick of paying for the labor. I can rebuild an Audi so a sled should be as easy. Just looking for a few more suggestions.[/b]
Stretch ProX and your suggestions are spot on!!!!!!!!!

At times it can be vary hard to get all of the air out of cooling system on a Polaris & Cats!!!!!!!

Suggested bleed procedure after doing what Stretch ProX said, there have been lots of bad over flow bottles & caps:
If your engine has a thermostat remove it per LRM!!!!, just takes a little more time for warm up.
Why start out riding at 140 deg F & then over heating??? Start out at the temp of max engine HP, approx 90 deg F, more room for temp rise.
A mod oval race engine will size up in less then two laps!

1. Rise the back of sled 16”+
2. Raise the front of sled 16”+ bleed, tilt on left side & bleed & tilt on right side & bleed.
3. Add Redline-Water Wetter, can lower engine temps as much as 25 deg F!!!!!!!!
Can purchase from Wahl Bros Racing or Auto Zone stocks for stock car racers.

To stop my 03 700cc SKS from over heating:
1. Removed the thermostat!!!
2. Added a used ($30) 1996 left side running board heat exchanger, very easy to install on an 03 SKS.
3. Add Redline-Water Wetter!!!
4. Bleed coolant system per my 1. & 2. above!!!

If the head gasket is bad, would be blowing coolant out the coolant cap, very high coolant pressure. Good luck; Rich

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
A friends 2002 800XC was over heating because the water pump impeller was not turning with the shaft, a new impeller, shaft & seals to be installed.

The water pump belt was replaced but did not correct the over heating problem.
Good Luck; Rich

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.