Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picking this up on Saturday, already ordered ski guides and one set of short and one set of tall Caliber flexible corner guides. Planning on cutting up and using 5 X 8 X 1/4" thick utility mats for the runners after applying sealer to the floor and ramp. No snow means I got a great deal. Any input on configuring/installing the guides or some pictures would be appreciated! Are the FRP panels you can buy from Lowes/Home Depot for $35 durable enough for the walls? Its a EZ-Hauler 7.5X18 with 5 ft V.
Wheel Motor vehicle Tire Automotive tire Sky

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
If you go calibers website they have a configure tab where you can build it with glides etc

How many sleds are you going to put in

I did some research before and I remember some guys saying their FRP panels warped. Personally I'd just use plywood and prime and paint it white. Ive seen pictures and it comes out nice.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
257 Posts
you will need a backer to use frp. you would typically trowel frp adhesives to the wall surface then stick the frp to the wall

It is very flexible and will be wavy down the walls if no backer behind it

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
just a suggestion, if it was me and I was going to add walls to a trailer again, I would buy some foam sheet insulation the thickness of the wall framing, so when you add wall panels they will fit flush tight to things.
as for material to use on the walls, the last time I did a trailer I got lucky and found a guy on Craigslist
selling white 5 ft x8 ft sheets of plastic,(20 bucks a sheet only too)
so ,that's what I used and came out pretty nice!
as fit perfect from top of kicker to ceiling!
I have seen them for sale since ,m so might be worth looking around for like sheeting, seems they sell it used in many locations? the guy I got mine off has it several time a yr for the past 10 yrs now!

Other wise, I think if I planned on keeping trailer a long time, I would invest in the proper wall material, something like the SuperLite RV wall panels or talk to a few other trailer OEM's and ask what they use and see what they would charge to sell you enough to do your trailer yourself!
this way you have something that will last a long time, and not have worries about cold temps and things cracking from cold air, not all plastic or composite l sheeting is able to handle very cold temps and cracks easy
after all a trailer is more of an investment than a single use buy item
and at current trends, if they stay this way, trailers are worth more than you paid for them, pretty quickly! new ones seem to go up almost weekly anymore HAHA!

·
Premium Member
17,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
2015 SBA 800 // 2023 SBA Boost!!💨
29 Posts
Thanks for the info, gonna start working on trailer again after the 4th, painted the floor, ordered runners and got some of the horse stall mats from TSC, (the thinner ones that come rolled up) and just ordered a Diesel Heater from Vevor - only $119 delivered right now if anyone is looking: Diesel Air Heater All In One 12v 8kw Lcd Monitor For Cars Trucks Boats Bus Rvs | VEVOR US
That’s an awesome trailer man!

Do you have any pics or links for the flooring? I’m in the process of trying to decide on what to do for the floor and ramp on my new 6x14 cargo trailer.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Looking good!
I agree with the suggestion of adding dense foam between the wall framing. It will serve two purposes. Insulation and structure. The tighter the fit, the better it will serve those purposes. Use a closed cell material and spray foam any gaps if possible. The FRP can do well with something behind to keep things from popping through the sheet. It won't stop sharp punctures, but it will really help with impact protection.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Picking this up on Saturday, already ordered ski guides and one set of short and one set of tall Caliber flexible corner guides. Planning on cutting up and using 5 X 8 X 1/4" thick utility mats for the runners after applying sealer to the floor and ramp. No snow means I got a great deal. Any input on configuring/installing the guides or some pictures would be appreciated! Are the FRP panels you can buy from Lowes/Home Depot for $35 durable enough for the walls? Its a EZ-Hauler 7.5X18 with 5 ft V.
View attachment 2130430
FRP will work nicely if you back it up with 3/8-1/2 plywood first. Then I would put the FRP with just a nice stainless pan head screw. Glueing it on will not work with the conditions it will see. So a nice screw pattern that goes though the plywood into the vertical aluminum sidewall supports will work nice. It will look great too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts